My Elderly Neighbor tree

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1980RS, Jul 29, 2019.

1. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

That's amazing to me that your Oak tree has grown to 24" diameter at the base in only 10 years. You must have some very fertile soil.

When we built our home in 2005, I had a number of trees brought in by spade. One of them is a Pin Oak that I believe was somewhat similar in size to your Schumard/Pin Oak cross. A Pin Oak (This tree grows at a fast rate, with height increases of more than 24" per year.) is supposed to be a faster growing tree than a Schumard (This tree grows at a medium rate, with height increases of 13–24" per year.). In 14 years, my Pin Oak is nowhere near 24" in diameter. Without running outside to measure, I'd guess it's somewhere around 8".

Regardless, an Oak tree is much more desirable than a Silver Maple ever thought of being...

2. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Some history on it.
    I always heard Oaks were slow growing I picked the tree out and they told me to come back in the morning and they would dig it out and stick it on my trailer.
    I dug a hole 2X the size of the root ball which was over 4 feet wide so a big hole and deep.
    I stuck the tree in the hole less than 40 minutes after it was dug up and cut the burlap off the root ball after I stuck it into the hole. After planting and packing the soil around it.
    I secured the tree with water hose at 4 corners so the wind would not blow it over.
    I had that on there for the first year of growth and then removed it.

My neighbor commented on how fast the tree has grown.
    He moved in in 2009 and said I had the water hose holding it steady.
    For 8 years I did not use any weed killer on the lawn and 10-20-10 fertilizer was used about 3 times a year.

I figured I could choke the weeds out if the grass was thick and healthy.

I had a Geo metro in the yard during this picture and i got rid of that Geo in late 2015 or 2016 I think.
    That tree took a huge growth spurt since then.
    https://www.movoto.com/yukon-ok/11604-delphi-cir-yukon-ok-73099/pid_rfncb1h5kh/

Now You may know how to google the picture date on that link but I got that Geo in 2011 and camo painted it in 2013 in the pic the car is in Camo .
    https://www.okshooters.com/threads/camo-geo.172480/

Now a today picture of the tree with my 12" long measured shoe at the base.
    Huge growth spurt in the last few years.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      62.8 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      45.2 KB
      Views:
  3. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

When we bought our home, in 2003, the only trees were 7 ancient maples near the road on the county easement. They were getting so badly hollow and rotted that the county took them out two or three every year. Wife and I planted every tree we have. Hard to explain, but every tree (on our property) in drone pictures we planted, including pines way in back. All the thick green is our alfalfa.Lawn has 'greened' up a lot since pics.
    Aerial Photos '18 (1).JPG Aerial Photos '18 (2).JPG

jeff swisher and Dave Nelson like this.
  4. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

I just talked to an arborist yesterday about taking down a large hemlock with a couple of large branches just hanging. The deductible on our homeowners is 1% of the insured value of the home so I figured that if one of those limbs came down and either destroyed my shed or landed on the roof, it would be a lot cheaper to have the tree taken down than pay the deductible.

Smokey15 likes this.
  5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Southern oaks are fast growing. Our northern oaks are very slow growing. Around here a native Bur oak (no other oak is native here and won't survive) can be expected to be knee high at 20 years, and begin to be a small tree at 100 years. If we import the same species from Nebraska, they grow quite fast and turn into nice sized trees in less than 20 years. Interestingly, if we import them from Kansas or farther south, they winterkill.

6. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Just talked with the neighbor yesterday and the tree now has to come down, it's going to cost him $2200 and not covered by his ins. Yikes!

7. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

depends on the type of Oak! Laurel Oaks (junk trees) & Water Oaks grow very fast. Live Oaks are slower & live much longer!

8. TheFastForester

TheFastForester Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good observations on the variability of bur oak growth rates Gary. Here's one I planted from an acorn in Nebraska as a young lad. Granted that was a few years ago (and one tree spade transplant move to my in-laws many moons ago), but this one has grown pretty fast. For tree geeks, here is a growth rate study I've done over the years along the Front Range. White oaks (English, bur, and swamp white) grow pretty fast once established here!
    https://csfs.colostate.edu/csfs/media/sites/22/2017/08/FINAL-Growth-Rate-Study-2016-02Aug2017.pdf
    7-6-2018 (2).jpg

Attached Files:

9. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Our Red Maples are quite slow compared to other Maple trees. In our backyard, the Autumn Maple is a replacement after two of them died in a four year span. It was about 2-3" in diameter and only about 20' tall when it was plated about 2009. Now it towers over Red Maple. Most of the pines, in the yard, were about 6-8' tall about 10-12 years ago. The pines near property line were all seedlings from the county. We planted over 100 of them. The attrition rate was bad, between deer ruining them and rabbits eating them when they were first planted.