My first car (74 Camaro) project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 74_Camaro, Feb 15, 2010.

1. 74_Camaro

74_Camaro Veteran Member

Haha yeah that's it! Got my own calender right next to it in the garage :cool:

[​IMG]

2. trueblueZ

trueblueZ Member

nice ride!

3. 74_Camaro

74_Camaro Veteran Member

Wiring harness is here!

Well it will still be a month and a half before I get home for summer to work on the car, but my new wiring harness arrived the other week!

I decided to get the new American Autowire 1974-77 update kit as my harness is cut everywhere. Someone decided to just cut all the wires to get the dash out at some point in time and everything is a complete mess. I've always had minor wiring problems with the car but they just keep getting worse and worse.

The kit is extremely informative and I've heard nothing but good about American Autowire. My good friend installed one on his '73 and said it has tons of instructions and their help line is very knowledgeable. Anyway, looking forward to getting this taken care of! It should make my car a much more reliable driver.

[​IMG]

4. 74_Camaro

74_Camaro Veteran Member

Wiring harness install/Dash Restoration

After a summer of working full time as a Mechanical Engineer Intern and a couple more semesters of college completed, I've got a lot done on my car.

First off was the wiring, as you can see below it was a complete mess. Splices, cut wires, electrical tape connections- a disaster is an understatement. I bought the AAW kit and it has been incredible.

While the wiring was being done I decided to restore my dash as it was the last thing in the interior that hasn't been restored. I have bought parts for the past couple years from swap meets and I finally get to put them to use. Along with those parts I had a lower dash piece that was crack free and had an un-cut radio hole. Being the guy I am I didn't want to cut it myself so I bought a brand new RetroSound radio! It was a big purchase but well worth it.

Now since the dash was out, what better time to put in a new heater core? So while everything was taken out I replaced that as well as the hoses that go to it.

So currently I've got a completely restored dash sitting in my basement, a new heater core installed, and new wiring ran to the rear harness as well as the engine compartment. I'm hoping to finish the car up while I'm home for winter break, keeping my fingers crossed!

Getting to the heater core bolts as well as wiring up the starter.
    [​IMG]

The awful looking old harness. I counted over 15 wires that were cut and went nowhere.
    [​IMG]

Got the dash pulled!
    [​IMG]

Restored the kick panels, re-installed with plenty of sealant as recommended in another thread!
    [​IMG]

And while the interior was all out I decided to paint the floors with some Rustoleum for extra protection. Rock solid except 1 or 2 pinholes in the rear.
    [​IMG]

I'll take some more pics over break of the completed (and hopefully) installed dash. Huge shout-out to my father for helping me complete it as well, no way I could have finished it without his help!

5. 74_Camaro

74_Camaro Veteran Member

New 12-Bolt and Muncie!

Well the wiring is very near completion, just need to get home for a weekend and get the dash installed. Everything else is finished!

But, I recently found some great deals on some drivetrain parts which I couldn't pass up. While my car runs fine these will a couple nice upgrades! I picked up a 1970 12-bolt rear with 3.31 gears as well as a M20 muncie from my dad's friend who pulled it from his Corvette. Should be a good change to swap out my 10-bolt with 2.73 gears and my sloppy Saginaw.

So here's to letting the progress continue on for this never ending project!

[​IMG]

6. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looking great!! Always loved your build. Keep at it!

7. j.e.d.

j.e.d. Member

Good score. Love your car!

8. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

Nice build, I like the direction your going.

9. 74_Camaro

74_Camaro Veteran Member

Thanks all! Slowly but surely this car is getting to where I want it to be.

10. rtanner

rtanner Veteran Member

relaceing that 2.73 w that 3.31 posi is a huge upgrade, your going to have a big smile on your face!!!