My low cost LED Brake lights

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Revin, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

I want to have bright LED tail lights on my 73 Camaro. Problem is I'm cheap. So I came up with this way of making my tail lights on the cheap.

Disclaimer: The images seen in these pictures are mock-up units not the final product. Please disregard all scratches, broken plastic, chip paint or Dirty Work surface.

So I bought one of these on eBay for $9.96 just to try.

It is to thick the way it comes to just lay in bottom of the TL pod with stock Camaro lens.
    So...
    I heated it in my oven @ 200* for a little bit. And was able to remove the lens to get the led board inside.

Instead of just the pcb laying there, I cut the bottom part to fit the bottom. Reason is the standoff. CON slides right in. Bam. silicone the base to hold it there.

Super bright. Better in person.
    I plan on getting a socket to mate up with stock harness.(not sure if we use the 1157 bulb, but the idea)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pcs-1157-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
    There ya go! 1973 Camaro LED TailLights for $10.00.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not too bad. :D

Personally.... I would move that LED set to your dome light and see if you can get the same setup with Red LEDs.

Exterior LEDs should always be the same color as the lens.
    It looks too much like a backup light with the really bright white LEDs in the center.

BradySmmrs likes this.
  3. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Rayden2009 likes this.
  4. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Do you have a link to the LED light you purchased on ebay?

5. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Link for the light
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Round-RV-Truck-Trailer-Rubber-Mount-Stop-Turn-Tail-Backup-light-LED-Red-12V/362232974692?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Twist
    I agree with the color part. They still "look" red, I may trim the red lens that came with it and try that or maybe even remove the disfuser. They fill up the lens in person. I do have a trick to look into to spread the light output around.

These are trailer lights. I think the red lens that came with them might be a shade darker red to produce the RED more pronounced Than my old faded stock lens.

Not to worry! I am still in the R&D stage on these and several other mods....(had to take a break from the bodywork for a bit)

ULTM8Z - I like that with the halo! are the halo the turn signals? Lots of work compared to mine, but worth it!
    I looked at several others on line and Hella has nice ones:D but way too expensive for my wallet.
    I could not tell if the center were white(backup) so didn't get these. but the style I wanted to do is like that from Hella. Like yours!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-RED-LED-4-Round-Truck-Trailer-Stop-Turn-Tail-Flange-Mount-Lite-W-CLEAR-LENS/271629076775?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

6. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

The halos are the tail lights. Stop and turn signals are the center sections.

I actually updated them since the time I did that write up, using some 4" COB Halo rings...

[​IMG]

mrluckies and 80sz like this.
  7. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

dam I need to go back to drawing board! I like that very much!

8. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

9. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

NEED AN UPDATED WRITE UP WITH PN'S! THIS IS SICK!

10. NorCal_71

NorCal_71 Veteran Member

Attached Files:

mrluckies likes this.