My LQ4 Swap

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by TheMeat, Dec 21, 2012.

1. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

Here are a few pictures showing the differences between the 2001 LQ4 rods and a set of 2006 LS2 rods.

LS2 ROD
    [​IMG]
    LQ4 ROD
    [​IMG]
    LS2 ROD
    [​IMG]
    LQ4 ROD
    [​IMG]
    LQ4 ROD on left/LS2 ROD on right
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

LS2
    [​IMG]
    LQ4
    [​IMG]

3. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

I plan on using the LS2 Rods/crank/pistons after I swap the 54X reluctor wheel for the 24X so it will work with the PCM I have.

The cranks are identical otherwise and share the same part number. The rod and crank bearings in the high mileage LQ4 (195,000) looked awesome. I would have replaced the cam bearings, rings, lifters, cam, and chain as they seemed to be the worn items.

4. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

swapping that reluctor wheel isn't super easy, so take your time and get it right. Another option is the Lingenfelter controller to make a 58x wheel work with a 24x pcm

5. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

That's what I read. I found the Goodson tool online for ~$200 though and a replacement wheel is $20 from GM. Late model engine in Texas offers a billet 24x reluctor but they want $199 for it!!:eek:

Anyhow, I dropped my block and crank off at a trusted local machine shop who does many LS builds. The owner looked over my parts and was in agreement that the bores should clean up with just a hone and my "new to me" LS2 pistons would work fine in it.

I am having the block jet cleaned, honed, decked, new cam bearings installed and a 24X reluctor wheel installed. Should be done no later Monday.

6. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

Cleaned up all of my pistons....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, got this solvent from Harbor Freight so I can get everything pretty clean and painted prior to install. Solvent was more $$$ than the tank!

[​IMG]

7. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

Hopefully I can start cleaning the engine bay too and touching up some areas that need attention..
    [​IMG]

8. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Who in the heck needs a billet reluctor? It's not like you can see it. Oooh, I got as billet reluctor.:rolleyes:

The local machine shop I used has been in business since the 60's and I believe I was the first LS block they ever did. They did not even have the reluctor install tool, and yes, I purchased the one from Goodson and installed a new wheel myself. I just had them do the machine work to bore the block and centerline bore the mains to be sure they were true. Took great pride in assembling the motor myself.
    Good luck on your project. :smokin:

9. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

The stock reluctor wheels like to explode with a big shot of nitrous or on high powered turbo engines.

10. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

This^. I decided that the extra money spent on a reluctor could be better used elsewhere in my particular build.

There is quite a bit of difference between the 24X reluctor and the 58X reluctor just upon visual inspection in regards to the build quality.

I will take a picture of each for comparison when I get my other crank back.