My neighbor and jury duty!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 72'z'steve, Aug 13, 2019.

1. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

We were on vacation for a week plus,just came home and mowed the lawn,I have a 3+ acre back yard ,bordering a busy county road,in the ditch I found some mail for a "neighbor" about 1/4-1/3 mile away.One was marked jury duty notice from the county courthouse.I walked my way to the address knocked on the door and introduced myself and told him where I lived and I found some mail and one was jury duty, and I thought it was important.He acted like I was a process server,stepped back 3 steps said OHH NOO I'm not touching that/you take it with you!- like the guy on that insurance commercial who jumps the railing,I stood there and did a OOOKKAAY,I left the mail on his railing and said my goodbyes.Just thought it was funny.My brother said I should find a chain letter on the web and send it to him if he's that paranoid- Later Steve!!--

2. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

You should see what they do when you actually serve them lol.

3. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

I don’t get it, yeah jury duty isn’t a “fun” thing to do, but it’s not something that needs to be feared either. I would hope “IF” I ever needed to depend on a jury to decide my fate, that those jury members would be actual peers ie normal and reasonable productive members of society. Not lowlifes with nothing better to do that get paid better for jury duty than the welfare bennies theys ariddy gittin.

4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I was on Jury duty back in 03, it was no big deal. The first case we were going to get was a drug dealer gone bad, went back the second day to do the trial but the guy plea bargained on the deal so we went back to the jury pool. Second case was a accident insurance case and was actually pretty interesting, I thought the old lady who was suing put on the big act she was a phony, she would never look at us also she was trying to look real frail. I did notice one thing in the courthouse foyer as she walked by me like she was a new person all happy she looked 20 years younger (we were not supposed to use that in our decision) walking along and sure enough when we got back in the courtroom there she was with the frail act again. Her layer was asking $480K but we the jury did find negligence by the other party but the old bag only got $40K, bet she was pissed. The foreman did not like me but too bad I hate people who milk the system. The one thing I do know for sure, Judges are pretty hard working people as when we went out for lunch everyday they were up there dealing with the scum bags. I have a lot more respect for a lot of them the before I went to jury duty. Can't wait until my wife has to go there some day.

dave@ztech likes this.
  5. Phil G

Phil G Veteran Member

I'm now serving on my FIFTH Jury! Week two of a nasty one...

6. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

been called in 3 times....been released 3 times..... I guess my "attitude" doesn't bode well with some attorneys ;) I would have no problem with doing it as I would be glad to voice MY opinion on the situation. I should only hope others would do the same if I were in need of representation.

roadrace2 and dave@ztech like this.
  7. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

I live in the southwesr suburbs of Chicago literally 1.5 miles from a courthouse. Of course when I get called for jury duty it is either at 33rd & California (which is the ghetto) or downtown at the Thompson Center. If I ever goto Chicago, it’s only to the museums or the auto show which are both right off the highway.

8. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

95% chance he also complains about court decisions.:rolleyes: If you want a well-functioning society, this is part of it.

9. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

If you don't want to be on jury.
    When the lawyers are talking about the case you may get picked for. Look at the ceiling, floor or anything else so it looks like you are not paying attention to what they are saying.
    Whoever is not talking they are watching the pool. If you look un attentive they will not pick you.

I was on 3 trials. Hated them. Boring crap cases.
    None since I figured it out.

Plus rest of day off since work has to let you attend.

10. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

My company will pay the difference between an 8 hour day and what the county pays for jury duty. It's just a day off for me. I've been called many times but only served on one jury. An Ambulance chaser was trying to take an insurance company to the cleaners with some strange "expert" witnesses. The driver that hit the other driver admitted to doing it and settled with the other 4 drivers he hit. We found for the driver that was hit but only awarded him actual damages, not the huge cost the lawyer was trying to get. Those TV court room shows have nothing on a really good lawyer doing his job. I hope if I'm ever sued, the guy representing the insurance company (I'm with them also) handles my case. Skipping out might have let insurance costs get driven up.