My timing mark is MIA . TDC check.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by jeff swisher, Mar 25, 2020.

1. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Happens to some of us some of the time.

I dialed my timing light from Zero to 60 degrees and still MIA
    From Idle to 4500rpm it never showed it's face.

I pulled #1 spark plug and applied some masking tape to a zip tie and wrapped the tape around the black zip tie.
    Inserted the tie into spark plug hole and made a mark on the tape where the tie met the header bolt.
    Turned engine by hand and notice the mark moved up..made another mark.. kept turning until the marks I made no longer went higher than the header bolt.

Turns out my balancer ring has slipped nearly 4"
    Glad I found it before i slung it off and had it rattling around against the timing cover and pulley.
    Gen 1 sbc 350"
    That makes 3 that this engine has spun since i have had it . I suppose it averages 1 every 100,000 miles or so.

Think your engine wants a lot of timing all of the sudden to run well.
    Check TDC.

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

D896159D-DFCA-48F5-9079-092A392802CE.jpeg Jeff, here’s a pic of my BHJ dampener, I’ve been doing this on all my builds that uses a traditional hub and outer ring style balancer. When you mark the hub at zero, it’s easy to check the phasing with a dial back to see if it moves or slips during timing checks.

3. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's why I spent the extra $$$$$$ and had a SFI spec Fluid dampener installed on my new 427sbc

dave@ztech and 1980RS like this.
  4. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Well, I spent very good (too much) money on one of those FD many years ago when they came out, as you see in my pic, it's NOT a FD. I did not like the FD, but everyone has there own take on things.

If your Shafiroff came with it, or tells you to use one, then your good should something happen.

5. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I drive hard in and out of the throttle quickly. I sometimes have my 4500 stall and almost every time I go out it sees 7000+ rpm shifts. I almost consider it a wear item.
    Mud and gravel roads pulling heavy trailers often driving on salted frozen roads i the winter.

I have no issue replacing a damper now and then. Pioneer has done good by me.

FD has not.
    The 11.9 second nova I built for a friend he got parts I told him to get I massaged them and stuck it together.
    One part I never used was a Fluid Damper harmonic damper.. he wanted one.

4 Bolt block line honed decked crank index ground and polished and chamfered and balanced.
    ARP bolts in everything rods resized and pistons pin fit. Clevite bearings were present for the crank grinding to get clearances spot on.

1200 in machine work and parts.
    Not including cam or timing set.
    Front main bearing went out 2 times..I never had a front main go out EVER.
    No issues with crank or cap.
    3rd bearing set that went in was same as the first one and second one but I did not use the FD ..I got a Pioneer.
    many years later it was still going NO bearing issues.

Was it the cold weather.. was it a bad one.. was it because it was a Street Damper by Fluid Damper.
    I have no idea ..it is long gone.
    If I was going to go big money it would be ATI.

This little 350 will not get that.. puny power daily driver 12.86 best ET in my 4 door 57.
    So not to the point of needing ATI.

6. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It is not their Street Damper series , those arent SFI spec mine is their race series damper #620101 and is SFI Spec 18:1

Yes it's from Shafiroff and reccomended for my motor

7. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Could be worse. My 72 had a nasty habit of splitting hubs at the keyway and tossing the balancer/ pulley assy across traffic... I split two 8" balancers, a 6" balancer, and finally wound up with a little light weight 283 balancer on it...

8. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Mine was the SFI 18.1, no such thing as the "Street Damper" back then. Your protected since Shafiroff supports these on their builds. Some crank companies state other wise on the use of "internal ring" viscous fluid styled dampeners.

9. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Perhaps it's the crank OD that's out of spec causing the issues.

10. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

I think it was just too much motor for the stock cast hub balancers. Throttle response was unbelievable on that engine. My buddy always said that instead of just revving like most engines, it would "quack like a duck". I should have gone aftermarket with a steel hub. Sadly that engine didn't come back with the car when it got stolen. I am part way through another engine build to re create that beast. I need to get the block decked .025" and then I can start with the assembly. I have been unable to drive that car for way too long already.

dave@ztech and jeff swisher like this.