Nanny systems run amok.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

At least your '68 has hydraulic brakes. Go back around 30 years from there and the vehicles had "mechanical" brakes with no hydraulic system. That was fine on a Schwinn, but scary on an International truck.

Happy_Dan likes this.
  2. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

imagine the shock of an 81 yr old Heuy pilot....trading in his 1994 dodge Dakota (5 speed 318).....test driving a self driving Tesla with NO ENGINE!.... like WTF is this!!! (he still turns on his cell phone...makes a call...then turns it OFF)...lol

3. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

How about a 21 year old who owns a 2017 Camaro and was given the opportunity to drive a '55 Nomad with "three on the tree..." Talk about being totally confused.

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Ended up getting a 2019 Ford Fusion hybrid for a rental car on a trip I recently took...

Frankly all that car does is just beep at you for this and that.... lane departure warning, proximity sensors, it thinks you're too drowsy, "coaching" on braking too hard, etc. It's like having a back seat driver nagging you incessantly...

Yeah, talk about overdoing it on nanny systems...

5. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm just spitballing here, but have you guys ever considered that if the nanny systems are all over you, maybe it's because the system thinks you're a crappy driver?

:D:D

Knuckle Dragger likes this.
  6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Another possibility is that the folks designing the nanny systems don't know what they are doing.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  7. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Lol... so then maybe they can include a feature where i can plug in the fact that I've been accident free in the 30 years I've been driving... at which point the car just S'sTFU and let's me drive.... :crazy:

I think it's all just a consequence of living in the "do not iron clothes while wearing them" era...

John Wright and gramps like this.
  8. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

I don't think so Todd. I've been driving for over fifty years, no problems, no Nanny systems. The crappy drivers you speak of today are the one's with their cell phones in their face. The "Nanny System" they could use is a boxing glove deploy from the dash every time they pick up their phone.

Da-bigguy likes this.
  9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You might be OK Dave but I'm not really sure who's more dangerous out here, cell phone clowns or the retirees. It gets real fun when the blue hair is on their phone. ;) Grandma driving down the I10 with a map plastered across the windshield during the afternoon rush was real butt-puckering experience too let me tell you.

10. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was just funnin' on you guys mostly... I wouldn't be scared to ride in a car with you.:) I've been ~35 years without an issue. I'm not worried about what's behind, but what's ahead.

My point is that these systems do have a utility. If I can have a system that chirps at me as I get close to another door while trying to park in the TINY spots at the local pool- I don't mind. If I have a system that slams the brakes if the neighbor's kid darts behind my car as I back out- I don't mind. Me not running over him, even if it's entirely his fault and his parents are 100% POS (they aren't, I like them, he's just... rambunctious)- I'll take the nag over killing a kid any day of the week.

Of course, my cars have none of this stuff (the high mile Pilot does have the proximity sensor, which is handy for that boxy thing), because I'm going to be driving these old things for another decade it seems.:D But, I'll specifically look for the Autopilot and maybe even Full Self Driving when I finally get around to a new car.