Nanny systems run amok.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, Nov 15, 2019.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I'm not against new tech. It's unnecessary complexity. Note how many people chimed in that like some new tech, just within reason. A car that aims for a dead skunk is a pain.

2. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Knuck might want to lighten up on the boomer talk...

3. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Or?

4. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Typical mill deflection of anyone's mild reaction to your mindless response.
    Shall I start on the mental illness of mills? Let it go mill.

BTW, the electrical stuff in cars, not that someone from AZ would understand, in Canada, and the US snow belt corrode. The ABS, air bags, self drive, etc. cease to function.

Who pays when the systems kill?

5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wrong generation my friend, but let's not let the facts get in the way. I guess the big "or" is just more bluster?

6. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Keep drinking my friend. That made no sense.

7. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So, to get this back on track:

I bought a 2019 RAM and it has a bunch of these systems. But, it also has a nice interface where you can turn things on or off (within reason) or set the sensitivity.

For example, I pulled into the ATM. As I was trying to pull out, the auto brake kept engaging because the sensors picked up a cement post in the lane. I couldn’t get out of the ATM lane! I tried turning off the sensor...No go, just stopped the beeping, but didn’t over-ride the auto brake. I thought, “I’ll call my wife” then I thought “huh, what the heck is she gonna do”. Lol. So I Googled it while the guy behind me is blowing his horn. Found a post about the same issue along with the fix. I went into the interface and turn down the sensitivity and voila, I’m out!

The other annoying thing is under 40 degrees it automatically turns the heated seats and steering wheel on...Annoying. I now have it set it to only come on after auto start.

Some of the tech these days is pretty great. Funny part is when I go from the Ram to the Camaro, I don’t miss the tech much.

I guess the point is, if this is all I have to complain about, then things are pretty good these days.

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

Anybody remember the motorized shoulder harness mechanisms in the doors? Watched one swipe the glasses right off my dad as he was starting the car looking out the drivers side window. It was ON at that point!

9. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

^^^^ Subarus were famous for those in the 80's friend had an XT [remember those] kinda neat but had those seat belts and the most annoying/cheap dink-ding- ding bell for warning.Kinda like a big go-cart- you couldn't kill those 80's subies it seemed--Later Steve!!

10. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

There won't be any 02 sensors in your stocking this year.

Knuckle Dragger likes this.