NAPA branded oil

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Smokin'Joe, Aug 16, 2019.

1. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I agree with this statement for the most part. If a company requires the use of an OE part only, they must provide said part free of charge.

However, warranty can be denied for use of unapproved aftermarket items.

Example - GM requires the use of the correct weight of Dexos approved oil. If you choose to use a non Dexos certified oil - your warranty can be (and has been voided).

There are aftermarket oil filters that have proven to have caused catastrophic engine failures (I've seen the GM bulletins). I'm not sure how GM handles warranty claims on these - but I used to let my repair shops know about aftermarket filters that did cause this kind of damage so their customers would not suffer this kind of failure.

Example, the most recent situation I can remember, the "B" line oil filter manufactured by WIX for use in certain Hyandai/Kia vehicles was documented to collapse and cause catastrophic engine failure. When this problem was identified, I notified all my customers of the problem and strongly urged them to not use this filter and recommended using the OE oil filter (in addition to ACD, MTC and Mopar OE parts, we were also an authorized distributor for Hyundai/Kia OE parts).

I don't know how the OE manufacturer handled warranty claims on failures that were documented to have been caused by an aftermarket part. It could be that they covered the claim and went after WIX for reimbursement.

I also remember an ACDelco bulletin for failures by certain brands of aftermarket filters for the PF 2257G filter used on the 1.4L Turbo. As I owned one at the time, I always brought an OE filter when I had my oil change done by one of my customers - just to make sure I didn't have the problem.

2. bracketracer-78

bracketracer-78 Veteran Member

Short answer, yes. After the warranty period is up then you can use whatever you want. If its still under warranty and if there is a failure the aftermarket filter will be blamed and the warranty will be voided.

3. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

As Champ stated, IF the manufacturer or dealer tells you that their brand must be used...they have to provide said part at no charge. It is written in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

If you have an engine failure due to an oil filter, I can assure you that the filter manufacturer will send an adjuster out to investigate the matter. If their product failed, they will pay for the engine. We had Champion Laboratories pay for an engine that we serviced. The oil filter failed at the seam where the case is mated. They came out to the garage where the truck was towed....inspected the filter and found it to be the cause. Paid for the engine to be rebuilt.

I guarantee you that a car dealer won't put it in writing that they will void your warranty for using an aftermarket oil filter...UNLESS it is stated in the terms of the warranty...in which, as already stated, they will have to provide it free of charge.

4. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

There is a gentleman on the Cummins forum that didn’t have the warranty honored (Mopar had Cummins come in)on his truck for not using an approved fuel filter.
    The filter let water thru, F’d up the injectors and some other stuff.
    $24k for a long block that the dudes insurance ended up picking up the tab.

Fuel filter ended up being a Wix. Before I read the posting, I bought an Autozone Duralast filter (which was a repackaged Wix they took a magic marker to the name on the filter).
    The time to change countdown on that filter was gone in around a 1000 miles, normal is 15000.

Cummins/Fleetguard make their own filters, only thing I use on mine.

5. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

A car manufacturer will attempt to weasel their way out of paying any time they can. I have a friend (ex co-worker) with a 2002 Pontiac Firebird. Water pump sprung a leak at 29,500 miles.

He had taken the factory wheels off and replaced them with GM (not aftermarket) wheels off a ZR1 Vette. They voided his warranty claim on the water pump for changing the wheels. He fought them...had to go through GM corporate...and eventually did get them to make it right.

I've got a few more stories similar to this involving Ford, Kia, and Honda too.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  6. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

ABSOLUTELY NOT. They point the finger, you call them out on their BS as they would be violating federal law. They CAN NOT deny wty claims based on use of non oe filters.

Don’t believe me? Read the fine print. This is right out of the WIX catalog, and can be found online. I’m sure more reading of the Magnuson-Moss act can be found online.

31E7A888-40C1-42DE-9B6A-4B84C734AEC2.jpeg

And as much as I dislike fram, they have a similar blurb in their book warning of the finger pointing.

8AF95835-6F49-48B2-A97B-0E9ED077B022.jpeg

Dave Nelson and GoldenOne7710 like this.
  7. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Leaky water pump because of a wheel change??? That sounds like one of the "ever since you" phone calls we get on a daily basis.......

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Cut apart a Walmart Super Tech filter. Paint on the metal shell was thicker than the metal. Cardboard ends same as Fram. Looked at this a while and can't figure out how the oil gets through the filter, big rubber seal at the top pretty much closes off the flow seems like. Must be a lot of profit in these things, sure nothing there.

walmart tech filter.JPG

9. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

^^^^^ How does a oil filter rust on the inside? Water in the oil?

10. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

The lack of quality control in the manufacturing process...