nasty headers

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by flyboy367, Jul 6, 2007.

1. flyboy367

flyboy367 Veteran Member

besides bying new headers, what are some options for making them look better. i have a set of headman headders that the ceramic coating is falling off and they are rusting. i thought wrap but was advised not to since its my daily driver.

2. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I trashed the coating on mine relatively quickly... this time I just sandblasted and painted hi-heat black. Might even do the same to my chrome Hooker sidepipes when they arrive.... just gotta see how rusty they are first...

3. TooLateVTEC

TooLateVTEC Veteran Member

I thought the coated headers have some kind of warranty for the coating on them...guess not??

I'd call someone and raise hell,send pictures if necessary.

4. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I bought them about 10yrs ago and the coating technology was not what it is now.
    I called sent pics and all they had to allow at the time was that they were not responsible for me running too lean.
    Like I say, was 10 yrs ago..... today is a whole different story. I beleive there is a warranty nowdays, but don't know specifics.

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

1000 miles so far (geez, maybe 40 hours of running), and my headers still look good (except where they scraped the driveway LOL). Sandblasted, eastwood manofold paint.

[​IMG]

6. Jim Stokkeland

Jim Stokkeland Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Looks good Scott...I'd afraid to blast mine...LOL, probably be quicker to take em off, and throw them away! (they're pretty bad)

7. dwright406

dwright406 Veteran Member

I just bought a set of used headers from a forum member, they were pretty nasty/greasy/grungy when they arrived.
    First thing I did was spray them down with oven cleaner and let them soak for 25 minutes or so then rinsed, repeated that process one more time and they looked clean. Then sandblasted, hung them from the garage ceiling with wire and heated them good with my propane torch, then I painted them with some rattle can flat black 'ceramic' header paint, duplicolor or something similarly cheap.
    The paint seems to be on there good because I didn't see any scratches at all after they were installed (usually they get scraped up a little on the frame).
    They've only been on for maybe 40 miles, but I brought them up to temperature a few times right after installing them to bake them a little, so they've been through a few heat cycles.
    I think they look ok.

[​IMG]

8. Dstryr

Dstryr Veteran Member

What about powdercoating old headers? My football coach does powder coating for a business so he does stuff for me for pennies lol. How well would it hold up?

9. Jim Stokkeland

Jim Stokkeland Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Those look good David!!

10. flyboy367

flyboy367 Veteran Member

those are some clean engine bays. i think ill go grab some hi temp paint. ill wirebrush the headers as much as i can and spray them. it took long enought to get them to seal perfect and get all the stupid locking bolts in place that if i take them off im going to replace them. they have a warrenty as far as i know, only problem is they want them back to check them. my car has been downa month already waiting on a brake line. we have had 4 perfect weekends for driving as it is i dont think i could stand another month or so without my car.