Need a header recommendation

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by 2000z, Aug 24, 2019.

1. 2000z

2000z Member

Had a starter go out on me today and my current passenger side header had to come off to get to the outside starter bolt. Needless to say these aren't going back on. My car is a manual transmission with zbar linkage so I need a set that fits good with a zbar and obviously a starter lol. I'd rather not spend a ton of money, but I'd like a decent set. What do you folks recommend?

2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

On my street cars with a SBC I have always used the cyclone 1 5/8 headers, I have run as quick as 11.56 with them and when I went to the high buck hookers I picked up less than a tenth and 1-2 mph. The hookers for me are not worth what they charge. If I had to buy new I would get hedman this time.

3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

77 cruiser likes this.
  4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Quite a few posts on here recommending Hedman (I have set), never have I heard anyone say they have had any problems with Hedman. I went with the ceramic coated and they still look good after 6 years.

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

What exactly are you going to with the car? There are such brands such as Hooker .Headman , I have a supercharged car.And I run Doug Thorley long tube headers that have been "cermachrome" I also run and Moroso starter shield with a tilton mini starters for years on both my cars .With no issues,.

Attached Files:

6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

I would look at the Hooker Super Comps # 2117. They would support your future power levels and they fit with the Zbar and you can get and service the starter, also great with angle plugs.

I have a pair that I "shortened" due to engine set-down, and a 8 qt custom RR pan that makes the bolt access a little tighter, but I can service my starter and it's a 2 piece unit that uses the longer outside bolt, most are short outside bolt I think, so those should do the trick, although the headers are a little more expensive, these are the best I have used so far. Had the car on the hoist for inspection, pic are worth allot sometimes.
    p1.jpg p2.png

7. tjmugg

tjmugg New Member

I am thinking of swapping my stock exhaust manifolds out and installing Hedman ceramic headers. The heads are stock on my 355 with a mild cam. Do you know if they match up well with the exhaust ports on the stock heads?

8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes, keep in mind the stock mass-produced manifolds don't match up all that well.