Need a (pref) 4 or 5 Speed Manual Transmission for a '73 Camaro.

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Ted Jaramillo, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Ted Jaramillo

Ted Jaramillo New Member

Hey guys

Being in South America I have few (if Any) Junkyard Options to replace an adapted Toyot Transmission on my latest Project.

I'd like to know what to look for (Common Gearboxes I may be able to find) OR New AFtermarket Options available in the States, without going to a Tremec as my budget wont allow it.

Thanks guys,

TJ

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

OEM Borg Warner T-10 will be a great option and shouldn’t be too costly. I would avoid the OEM T5

3. Ted Jaramillo

Ted Jaramillo New Member

Awesome. its an OD Gearbox then? (I wasnt sure)

And where would you buy one?

Tks!

4. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

T10 is a 4 speed with no overdrive. If you get the one with the 3.42 first gear then you could run a 3.08 rear end and still be able to take off without slipping the clutch. The T5 isn't very strong and wouldn't be able to handle a lot of power.

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Yeah. No 4 speed that I know of is OD. What is the budget?

6. Ted Jaramillo

Ted Jaramillo New Member

Was hoping to get this done for well under $2k

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't know what was imported to South Africa, but the T56 from the 4th generation Camaro's can be adapted. The 6th gear is amazing on the highway

8. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

You would find a used T56 the same way you would find a used T10 - in the US it would be at a junkyard or on craigslist from a person selling one. What is available where you are - we have no way of knowing.

T10 should be what's in most 2nd gen Camaro's or mid to late 70s Corvettes with a 4 speed.

T56 came in '93+ Camaro's - 6 speed with a .5 OD 6th gear

You could also adapt a ZF from a '88-'96 Corvette especially if you can pick up the entire assembly - bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder. You would need a different flywheel but everything else should bolt up to a gen1 SBC.

I wouldn't bother with a T5 from a 3rd gen camaro - not strong enough for a good running 350.

Won't find anything new for that budget - even in a 4 speed. $3K and up for just the trans, then you need to source bellhousing, clutch, flywheel. If you can get the whole package in a used set-up that would be the best way to keep within your budget. Easily doable with a T10 or T56.

9. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

South America, not South Africa. But didn't mention what country - kind of a big continent - it's like saying you're in Europe.

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

Europe is not a big continent.