need help how to wire for bigger alt and batt in trunk

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by buildinmy73, Oct 27, 2015.

1. buildinmy73

buildinmy73 Veteran Member

I have a painless universal wiring harness then I'm going to install in my 73 camaro. I'm also located in my battery to the trunk, with a disconnect switch and a remote solenoid mounted in trunk . The alternator on running is a 140 amp 1 wire tuff stuff. I noticed the wires coming off the fuse panel are only 10 gauge. One is supposed to go to the battery positive the other to the alternator. I've been doing some reading on the site and found how people have wired it but still unsure the correct way..
    I know the 10 gauge is most likely to small I believe I need at least 4 gauge to alt but not sure what gauge to fuse block . Also do these have to be tied in together as they are now on the fuse block ?
    do I just remove the fuse and wires from the block and run my own from Batt to alt then from junction block to fuse panel?
    Thanks

2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Bump for ya !! :)

I'm also curious On this modification as I'm going with a Powermaster 140 amp alternator for my street / strip build . I don't want smoke escaping from the wires LOL!!!

3. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

It sounds like the 10 GA wire is for the worthless amp meter, you will need to connect one wire to the battery and ignore the alternator wire as you will need a larger GA wire. I think 4 GA is way overkill and would upgrade to 8 GA wire from the alternator to the starter solenoid and I would put a 6" piece of 10GA fusible link inline with the 8GA on the starter side .

Are you running V belts ? These big amp alternators everyone talks about makes me chuckle when I see them ran with a single V belt .

4. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

I'm an overkill guy but here's what I'd do.......
    2ga from the rear battery to the starter lug.
    4ga from alternator to starter lug.
    The 8ga wire in question to starter lug.

Bam, done!!

5. muscl car

McCune , thanks for your help !!! , your info should be stickied so that others if needing this info can find it quickly

Again thanks !!!!!!! :)

6. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member

I did my car pretty close to what McCune said.
    I'm only running a 100 amp alternator. Ran 8 GA from alt to battery with a 120 amp circuit breaker at battery end. Also ran 6 GA from battery to fuse block with a 100 amp breaker at battery. I ran 0 GA from battery to solenoid (in trunk) and 0 GA from solenoid to starter. The 0 GA is welding cable.
    I'm also running all LED lights sans the headlights, so loads my be lighter than with your application.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  7. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

I'm pretty sure mccune is wrong, unless I'm just missing it???
    The alternator wire can not go to the starter, that is illegal for cars with trunk mounted batts.

8. buildinmy73

buildinmy73 Veteran Member

guys i really appreciate all the input :) i just don't want to redo it later on. I wanna do it right the first time
    right now i have 1/0 gauge welding wire to go from batt (pos)to starter (with solenoid and 4 post disconnect) also 1/0 neg to go from batt to transmission bolt .
    i want to use a junction block up front to run a wire to fuse box(probably 4 gauge) then the alt wire will also be 4-6 gauge?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  9. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

For drag racing ,you will need a continuous duty relay that will cut the power from the alternator so the car will shut off when the switch is cut.

I did not know we were talking drag cars only:)

10. muscl car

That's my set up a drag race / limited street use , so now instead of the 6ga wire protected by a 200 amp midi fuse that's run between the starter & alternator I now need a continuous duty relay ??

How is this wired / run ????