Need Help LT1 Cranks but will not start

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 3_z28camaro, Apr 19, 2009.

1. 3_z28camaro

3_z28camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am a slightly longer belt and a charged battery away from turning the key and hopefully the engine firing up. I will be back home where the car is Sunday so that ought to be the day of reckoning.

Thanks again for your help Dave!:)

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't think I helped much, you're the one that got it straightened out, but you're welcome. Do we get video when it's running?

3. 3_z28camaro

I will try to get a video, it is pretty dirty right now, but that does not matter too much if it runs.

Here is what it looks like right now, the wiring and overall engine compartment are messy, I hope to get it cleaned up once it hopefully runs:

[​IMG]

4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm sure the end result is going to look great. You do good work, I've seen it :) Not too shabby now. Is that the factory A/C bracket? Almost looks like a super charger mount.

5. 3_z28camaro

I built A/C bracket at home, it was a fair amount of work to make sure it was right being square to the engine and lining up properly with the rest of the accessories. Then I had the bracket powder coated. It came out pretty good, though it sure makes everything else look dirty.

I hope to move the PCM into the cabin at one point to clean the area up some more, I have the extra length to do something with it.

6. 3_z28camaro

No luck. It cranks still but won't start. It seems different than before meaning at a few points it felt like it was about to fire. I have not begun to check all the wires at the optispark to see if that is the problem yet.

One very confusing thing though is that part of the Speartech harness is one of the wires that is supposed to be hooked up to a switched 12 volt source already has 12 volts at it with just the battery hooked up. No key in the ignition.

From the instructions this wire should not already have 12 volts at it it is supposed to be hooked to a switched 12 volts. I have no idea where this wire is getting power from. There is one other wire that is supposed to be a constant 12 volts but this wire is not hooked up when the other wire has this mysterious 12 volts.

This just gets more confusing, disappointing and frustrating every step of the way.

7. 3_z28camaro

Update #2 for the day. I found out where the stray voltage is coming from, the brake switch the control the lockup converter. I have no idea how the pink wire that is supposed to be connected to a switched 12 volts is drawing the power from the brake switch.

The power does go away when the brakes are applied and I tired starting the engine with the brakes applied but still nothing new happened.[​IMG]

8. drptop70ss

drptop70ss Veteran Member

call John, he does help troubleshoot his stuff. I cant see there being a problem with his harness. Did you have him program out VATS from the PCM? Normally with a vats problem the engine wont crank at all, but most likely the antitheft relay has been bypassed.

9. 3_z28camaro

The VATS was programmed out by John as well as eliminating any emissions stuff that would get in the way.

I have made a few more discoveries since earlier, I now have spark and I also have a pulse at the injector plug. I know I have fuel pressure, right now I am suspicious of the injectors being at fault.

10. Dangerous Drew

Dangerous Drew Veteran Member

Very common if the injectors sat around for a year or more, for them to gum up and not work. They can even cause it to run rough by only "kind of" working.