Need help on selecting paint shop

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Mhaze, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Mhaze

Mhaze New Member

My five year long 1970 RS/SS 4 spd/350 project is nearing the end.

I inherited this project when by brother passed away in 2014. At that point the car had been completely disassembled. Sheet metal was painted the original color, many body parts and frame parts were sandblasted, primed and repainted the original black.

Now we need to specify the job for a paint shop, and select one.

In the years we’ve had the car, we’ve done a lot of the work ourselves, including fitting and refitting quarter panels, front end and bumpers, and welding a strip to the left edge of the hood to get it exactly right.

We’ve test fit a lot of the trim and bumper, knowing they will come back off (several times...). Being very patient and careful has resulted in good progress.

So there would be no parts for the shop to buy (all is replaced and fit and adjusted, if they do need a new trim piece or something I will buy it). There is no interior work. There are all new wiring harnesses. The shop will not have to disassemble the car to paint it. We’ll supply the paint and take the bumpers etc. back off.

This is really a “paint job” and not a “classic car restoration job.” But it should be to high standards (not that the factory job originally was all that high...)

What should the body shop do? Maybe something like...
    • Perfecting curves of body panels
    • Filling and sanding down some (very minor) dings and dents
    • Final work on adjusting body panels and doors/ hood for correct gaps
    • Prime and paint Dakota Yellow (no two tone no stripes)
    What range of price should we be looking at?

Should I request separate bids for things like….
    • install window trim and rear window / front window
    • Install bumpers and valance and nosecap
    • Locate, drill sheet metal and install all emblems

hubedobeedo likes this.
  2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What ever shop you use, get a contract, that spells out the costs, and how long they will take, and see if they have any references , that you can actually talk to the previous clients.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. Mhaze

Mhaze New Member

Yes. I've visited a number of shops that had various classic cars sitting around in various states of rehab. It does look like they may have been there for five years or longer in a lot of cases. I'm thinking three months, absolute maximum.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  4. dave@ztech

The timing depends on what you want to spend, small shop all guys working on your car and maybe one or two others , you are looking at full shop costs, and they make money on products, so if you want to pay for your own, it will just cost you more some where else, as they had the parts and paint in there normal shop cost, to have your car done right expect to pay in that case senario , 18-20 grand , if you want to be a current project, as the shop expects to make 1800 plus, per day per bay

5. Mhaze

Mhaze New Member

I really do not think there are any parts left that need to be bought. Have no issue with the shop making a normal profit, but we all know the way that things bog down and slow down when you order any part for the Camaro. You are instantly waiting weeks before you can go back to making progress. That's way different than regular cars where parts come in next day.

Attached Files:

6. Mhaze

Mhaze New Member

I guess if the shop had worked on a couple of these before, that'd certainly be interesting. They'd know exactly what they were getting into and would be quite accurate in a time and materials estimate. My thinking was take the car as it is by a couple shops for them to look at, then pick one. Then we'd take all the junk back off with little precise holes drilled to allow alignment on reassembly. But we're not painters or body shop guys here.

7. Mhaze

Mhaze New Member

IMG_0782.jpg

hubedobeedo likes this.
  8. dave@ztech

I had the shops come and look at my car, then when I found one that I felt was going to do the job I wanted, I set it up, still took 2 years and close to 15K to get it done and I supplied/bought the paint , they had said it would be done in 3-6 months

hubedobeedo likes this.
  9. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

been in the body and paint industry for over 40 years ask alot of questions and find as many new references that they have i know from prior experiences that owner supplied products can be a problem (one more variable) cost vary with area and products get every thing in writing and don't be afraid to let them know exactly what you expect.some pics of a couple of jobs i did 163_2008_chicago_auto_show_09z+international_lonestar+front_fender_view[1].jpg

Attached Files:

10. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm