Need help on selecting paint shop

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Mhaze, Mar 9, 2019.

1. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

that's the main reason i got in the business tired of getting screwed , being honest means alot.

2. GDSmith

GDSmith Member

As an FYI, my experience when the car went in was “no problem 6-months tops”. Nothing on paper as far as a timeline. After 20-months the guy slipped up, via e-mail he made a date commitment.
    BAM!!!
    After the commitment date passed (which was 3-months) I let it slide another 30-days and then had a lawyer send him an certified letter stating he was “In Breech of Contract” he was then given 60-days to deliver the car finished to my satisfaction. This was after 15k spent with this guy, if the date was not met the car could be removed at my discretion and he becomes liable for up to 10k to have another shop finish it.
    Got the car as finished as I had patience for in 75-days.
    This isn’t how I wanted it to play out BUT, enough is enough.
    GET YOUR TIMELINE IN WRITING, if not you become a victim with no recourse.

hubedobeedo and dave@ztech like this.
  3. Zoomin

Zoomin Member

Ask for references from people in car clubs or at car shows. These are people that have been through it and can show you first hand the quality of the work and tell you about time frame. The body shop isn't going to give you any bad references.

4. racingcodyman

racingcodyman Member

Looks like a nice project. If I didn't have so much going on, I would say lets find out about shipping it here to me, and I would do it and not rip you off and get it done in a timely matter. Unfortunately Ive got a ton of things going on at the moment, I'm lucky I am winding down on the projects I have already. Looks like you've got the jams done... I guess there is little to no metal work that needs to be done? I'd scuff the whole car... get all the panels dialed in and all the lines and gaps perfected...lay down a nice epoxy sealer/primer... work on any highs and low spots...then spray the car with polyester primer...and block block block till there weren't any guide coat left, and just work as nec. till the highs and lows are gone.....then hit it with urethane primer...wet sand, prep it for base/clear... the cut and buff after clear has some time to cure. Its easy to write all that and say heres the steps...and its a lot of hours... mostly spent prior to laying paint... but I don't know if it should take months or years?? Unless there was a money problem or something else to hold it up.

5. hubedobeedo

6. hubedobeedo

go to UPDATE ON 71 PROGRESS in the project progress it' all about time and money. i got in the business because of bulls@@@#ers lying about this and that and decided that honesty was the best policy,yea 45 years and still at it.if they cant commit walk away.

7. hubedobeedo

got references pics of customers cars phone contacts. just saying it all sounds good

8. hubedobeedo

not knocking you just being real.i am sure you have had those question in past?

9. hubedobeedo

i wouldn't commit to any shop without a solid timeline,that ride looks close to being done not some (i'll have it for who knows how long quote)

10. racingcodyman

racingcodyman Member

I just like to talk I don't know anything about what I am talking about..I googled it 5 mins before I wrote that.