need help with motor mount drama

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by TStodard, Jan 27, 2017.

1. TStodard

TStodard New Member

Hi guys.

I ordered a set of mounts from summit for my 73, but they do not fit. These have a 2 5/8 opening, but the clam shell mounts on my car are almost 4". I don't think I am the only guy whose ever put a 350 in a camaro, so I am hoping you guys can help me out. I was really hoping to get this motor dropped in before I go back to work on thursday. The local shops have no idea what I am talking about, so I am turning to the experts

I ordered set 3.1120r from energy suspension.

2. TStodard

TStodard New Member

For the record, the block #
    87-95
    Car & Truck 2 & 4-bolt Passenger stick 1-piece seal

3. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

It sounds like you got the wrong ones. The old style

4. TStodard

TStodard New Member

I don't know what that means haha

5. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

If you still have the stock 73 clam shell style mounts you need the inserts that go on the frame side mount 3-1130R would be the correct kit for the original 73 mounts. You ordered the block side mounts for 71 and older.
    This is the correct 72 and newer mount kit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-3-1130r/overview/

6. TStodard

TStodard New Member

I need whatever mountsvto then block as well. I can't find a combination that goes with those clamshell mounts.

7. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Try the mounts for a 1979 camaro
    Go to local auto parts and ask for a 79 mount and compare I had the same problem and the 79 moubtbsolved it for me

8. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

Do you have pics of what you have? The link above for Summit Racing by 71RS/SS396 is the correct mounts for '73. I have a '72 and it uses the same ones...the rubber side, mounts to the subframe. The '71 style were completely different...the rubber side is bolted to the block.

Also, I used the Energy Suspension brand and they fought me going in...I still don't know why it was such a fight. I had to reach into the subframe and loosen the bolts on the mount. Then I installed the main bolt through the mounts and reached back in and tightened the subframe bolts. Hope this helps.

G

9. TStodard

TStodard New Member

IMG_2146.JPG IMG_2126.JPG

10. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

The one you are holding is for the '71 style. You can use that style, but you will need to change the mounts on the subframe as well. The reason they changed the design of the mount was due to safety concerns...the early rubber mount from the factory would actually break away and nothing would be securing the engine in-place. The later style was designed to be interlocking to prevent that from happening. Hope this helps.

G