Need new battery for DD opinions?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 72'z'steve, Dec 11, 2019.

1. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Maintenance free and the heat here in Florida Beats up the battery. I had to replace mine in my 05 XUV 6 times. My old truck that sits most of the time has the pop top type that is 7yrs old. I just have to keep the water in it and charge it now and then. Some older batteries I found in the junk just needed water and a charge. It is nice to find one to use as a core or to scrap for a couple bucks.

2. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

So you got 2 months of "free" service...;)

The 86 month old Delco is still cranking my pickup.

The original Delco in my ATS is at 72 months.

The GTO and the Camaro got new batteries about 2 years ago (the old Camaro battery is in the pickup now). The new batteries have 48 month free replacement warranties - which I don't expect I'll have to use.

The OE Equinox battery is only 15 months old.

The only vehicle that eats batteries is the 1949 Caddy. 6 volt battery technology/life just doesn't match the current 12 volt equipment.

3. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

That's a direct cause of people being willing to deal with jump starting a battery during the summer, but not wanting to do it when the weather gets a little cold.

Most of my former battery customers were really pretty good about testing batteries when cars were in for other services. When informed their battery was weak in the summer months - frequently their customers would put it off until the weather turned.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

For those of you dealing with cold winter temps, this graphic has a lot of good information.
    cca-explained.png
    As you can see, a battery can deliver only 65% of its amps at 32 degrees, and only 40% when the temp drops to 0 degrees F. Now, at -20, you get around 25%, and for those of you who see really cold temps like -40, you have only 10% of the cranking amps left. Add to that the stiffness of the engine at cold temps and as the temp drops, you need much more current to turn the engine, and really fast you reach the point where it isn't going to turn over anymore.

The good news is that you can buy an 800 cca battery or larger that can deliver that 800 amps at 0 degrees. However, at -40 you get only 1/4 of that power or 200 amps. This is why the aging batteries up here in the cold will show up when it gets really cold. If that 800 cca battery was at 1/2 power due to age, you would never know it at 80 degrees, and probably not at 32 degrees, but at -20 or -40 it wouldn't likely turn the engine at all.

5. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My little Scion tC, I replaced battery last year. Never missed a single start or struggled in -20 to -50* always turned over.

my Subaru’s old ones like 1990s etc always turned over. Meanwhile brand new fancy cars wouldn’t turn over or those giant lifted trucks lol I guess diesels suck in winter too