Need New Mufflers

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by sandiego74, May 15, 2018.

1. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Just this past weekend, I finally had the chance to take my car out to the local autocross event. To keep it short, the car did amazingly well. Not only was this the car's first time in an event like this, but also mine. The only problem I had came from the 8 year old tires I had on the rear, which, as you can see from the video, made for quite a fun experience. However, I was also nearly breaking the event's 93 decibel sound-limit with my exhaust.

Currently, I'm running 1 5/8" Hooker headers with 2.5" exhaust tubing, two Flowmaster Super 10 mufflers, and turn downs. I'd rather not go back to tail pipes for weight and clearance reasons. I want to keep the car loud; just not this loud, unfortunately. What muffler would you recommend I try out?

Here's a video for an idea of the sound. Engine is the same nearly-stock, low-compression 350 the car was born with from the factory.

dave@ztech likes this.
  2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    If you're not already running an exhaust crossover or an X-Pipe, that will do quite a bit to quiet down the car. Running a bit of exhaust piping (like 12") instead of dumps will help quiet down the car a lot as well.

The Flowmaster Super 10 is one of the more aggressive mufflers out there; pretty much anything is going to be quieter.
    I've always been a fan of the Borla Pro-XS mufflers. They flow as well as anything out there, aren't insanely loud, but have a nice bark and very little interior resonance.
    You want the Offset/Center configuration
    https://www.borla.com/products/proxs_centeroffset.html

3. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you for the info. I should've stated that I do, in fact, have a crossover. Just a simple h-pipe design.

I also should've stated that I do not care about interior resonance. I have no carpeting or sound deadening, and I prefer it that way for this car. I'd like something that would slot just under the 10 Series in the aggressive/loud spectrum.

4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Flowmaster 40's would be the next step down from the 10 series I did like them when i had um on the car. I went with 44's for the size of the muffler and also wanted to be able to clearly hear what is on the radio.

5. Dentguy#4

Dentguy#4 Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Butler,Pa
    What about instead of turn downs beating the sound off ground you turn tips out instead? Not sure if that’ll help

6. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Borla ATAK Mufflers

7. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I've already had the Flowmaster 40's and 44's, and, honestly, I'm tired of the tinny, hollow sound. I the love the sound of the 10's.

Before the turn-downs, I had cut the tailpipes off so that the exhaust was exiting straight out the back before the rear-end, which was actually louder. I feel turning them out to the side would only make them focus the sound to the decibel readers (which are alongside the courses) even more.

The Borla ATAK's sound great.

What about simply adding two short Dynomax Race Bullets or 8" Glasspacks?

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  8. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    just run 2 resonators and be done

9. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    MN
    Super 10's Yikes!. Put some spintech's on that car, plenty of flow and pretty quiet.

Zstar likes this.