need some help on wiring a push button switch for atv

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by southern-breeze, Jan 20, 2010.

1. southern-breeze

southern-breeze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have honda foreman that the starter button has quit working ,so they want $106 .00 for the switch assembly and I need to put a push button on it ,so now my ? is how do I do this ? and can it be hooked up to the solenoid switch and also my push button has 3 prongs -one for hot -acc- and ground and I only have 2 wires from the solenoid. and I already tried the 2 wired on the solenoid switch to the push button and it melted the wires ,so does anyone know a simple way .

and also i have the key to turn the atv on but need to install the push button

2. southern-breeze

and also -I can short the solenoid with a screwdriver and it will start .but i'm getting tired of climbing off the seat and doing it this way

3. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm not the wiring expert but I've learned alot in the past few months while rewiring my car.

To me, it doesn't sound right.
    Why would the wires who normally carry that voltage upon being engaged melt ??
    I'd think the switch would blow before the wires melted if it wasn't capable of handling the voltage.

Something doesn't sound right.
    Sounds to me like you might have hooked up the switch wrong maybe?? Backwards ???
    Try a relay maybe ?? The accessory port on the start button I wouldn't think is necessary at all.
    Maybe the switch is bad now .....causing too much resistance.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  4. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

PERSONALLY....I'd spend the money for the right part so its not all jacked up later on...cuz if you 'wire' it up now, it might be that way for a LONG time....or it could cause other problems later....

5. southern-breeze

I would if it was used more often ,but it is only used to round up cows.probly have not ridden it 10hours since 04 and also this is a 96 model

6. Aceshigh

Try what I said in the PM.

Then what I strongly suggest is 2 avenues.
    #1. Join an ATV forum and see if they have ideas.
    #2. Call the manufacturer and see what they think.

It's hard to diagnose without knowing what's all involved here and what you've tested with a multimeter.
    Like I said, I'm just a novice at this stuff so far. Not the "authority". :D

7. Nitroexpress

Nitroexpress Veteran Member

Buy a 12 volt push button switch at Radio Shack run two 14 guage wires from the switch on the handle bars to the solinoid. Use crimp on ring conectors & attach on wire to each terminal on the solinoid = Done!!!! I did the same thing on my 2000 Yamaha Grizzly 600 this past summer. Yamaha wanted $250 for the assembly. I said screw that. I too was able to jump mine with a pice of wire that I kept in the tool box under the seat...(it was pain to pull start & to pull the seat everytime I needed that pice of wire got old fast) So I wired in a new switch. Easy!

8. Aceshigh

:eek: :eek:

9. Nitroexpress

Nitroexpress Veteran Member

Yah I know Ace... tell me about it = :eek: :eek: :eek: I looked the parts guy right in the face & told him he was nutts!!!! Apperently scince it's the whole assembly that also holds the master on/off switch & head lights controlls as well & break lever assembly it's an expensive part. Plus they didn't stock it & it was 5-6 + week lead time = :screwup:

10. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you can jump the solenoid, I would just run new wires to the solenoid and connect a pushbutton switch like what was said above. Maybe the existing wires have a short? Unless they feed something else, maybe disconnnect them.