Need some TPI advice...

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by John Wright, Jul 27, 2008.

1. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

On my 89 TPI that is going into my 1970 Camaro,

1) Do I need to keep the air pump and all of that "stuff" that goes with it? I'm not planning on using a cat on this 70 model.

2) If I can delete this, what all do I need to do to the programming? (diverter solenoids..ect)

3) ...and what do I do about the pulley since it is part of the serpentine belt system?

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes you can leave the pump out if not needed. All the controls can be eliminated through programing. Just remove the pump and use a shorter belt, at least according to what I have read after I went back to using the pump. It looks like it would work. GM makes a pump delete pulley (which is what I used) if you decide not to try the shorter belt method.

Ultm8z is running without the pump.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  3. John Wright

Thanks Dave. I'm still a newbie with this stuff. I was just looking to get away from the air tubes in the exhaust and that air pump with all of those air lines plumbed in everywhere.

Getting all of that off the pass side of the motor will clean it up quite a bit.

4. Knuckle Dragger

Yeah, I would have left it off if I could have gotten away with it.

5. John Wright

Dave,
    I called and talked with Jim @ Jim's Performance in Ellicott, MD about my harness per your recommendation....very nice guy to talk with, he told me he could take out all of the EGR and Air Pump stuff, thin out the harness for me of all of the uneeded wiring, burn a new chip and get the whole thing operational.....and best part is I feel he is very reasonable on his pricing...I'm gonna let him DUIT. At first I was planning to take all of this on, but I'm behind the learning curve just a bit. I think I can do it but I'm going to be painfully slow sorting all of this out, because I've got to learn it as I go. He'll get me moving alot faster than me going at this alone.

6. April81Z28

April81Z28 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

John, I know right where Jim's Performance is, lol. I drive within a half mile of his place every day on the way home from work.

Spoon bought an NOS GM quarterpanel off of one of his eBay auctions. I picked it up and kept it until he could come and get it from me, lol. Very nice guy.

7. John Wright

Jim seemed very excited about what I have planned for the car, we talked quite a bit about other aspects of the build as well. Cool guy to talk with.

8. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

so what was the quote for pruning the harness and new prom.... I may be interested in his services:innocent:

9. Knuckle Dragger

Yeah I still talk with the guy via e-mail from time to time. Once you talk with him it's all over. You just feel so comfortable and know he's going to make it right. The guy over at Lee Manufacturing is the same way.

10. John Wright

He gave me a price over the phone...but I don't know if that is a standard price or what.....probably best bet is to call him and tell him what all you need and then he can give you a price based on what you need done.

Jim's Performance
    1-877-465-9569