Need to rent something to drive for a week in Seattle

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by larrylarry, Oct 16, 2016.

1. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Looking for experienced advice about car rentals. I got screwed last time we were up there, at least I thought so. Airport rental, Toyota Camery, had to car 5 days, put about 280 miles on it, paid 390.00. I need a car/truck for Thanksgiving week. I'm seriously thinking about renting a p/u from Uhaul. Need to get from Seattle airport to Oak Harbor/Whittby island an back.

2. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Best rates around me were renting directly at the airport. Quotes for same car/same amount of time, same location to location were 3x more renting from a location 10 miles away WITH THE SAME COMPANY lol, Enterprise.

There are no standards with pricing.

Got a 2016 Impala with 800 miles on it and put 5800 miles on it in 2 weeks driving from Maine to Florida and back for $400

3. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

At that time of year, I would definitely look at a good SUV or something with weight because of the weather up there...

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I would get one outside the SeaTac area.Like Burien or Renton. The rates might be a little cheaper. And its Whidbey Island.

5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Having worked for Enterprise for a decade I can speak to this a bit

The airports can be a trap. While daily rates are lower there are all sorts of taxes and concession fees that can make a mess ofthe price
    Thanksgiving week is always hell for rentals expect to pay more
    I suggest always reserving the cheapest car, better than 50% chance you'll get a free upgrade. If not you can always upgrade at the counter. Rental employees are evaluated by selling upgrades so you can negotiate from a position of power

You might also check out www.turo.com. Its a p2p rental site and the prices don't generally float like retail

muscl car likes this.
  6. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

There may be an Enterprise location on Pacific Hwy So (International Blvd)
    or Renton,WA ......less than a $20.00 cab fare.

7. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

im not positive, but i think uhaul pickups are daily rentals, meaning they want them back at the end of the day. Different locations may have different rules, but i tried to rent a uhaul passenger van for a week, and they said i can rent it for a week, but it had to come back at night. weird. Maybe lowend can expand on this, but i have always found car rental prices go up and down for no apparent reason. I ski out west at least once a year, so always renting an SUV. one thing i have learned and has worked for me is to book a car, rebook when you find a lower rate, and then rebook some more when you find a lower rate. i usually stick with renting right from Avis,Budget, etc rather than the priceline type sites. Obviously when you do this you dont want to be paying up front on your CC for it. Search google for discount codes. they are all over the place, and never had an issue using a valid code i found online for a car. Lowend is right about the up sell, last time in Colorado, the guy at the Thrifty counter told me, "your vehicle is only a 4 cylinder, you should step up to the 6 cylinder with all the hills you are going to go up. would you like to do that? i politely declined, and told him i would just hold the gas pedal to the mat at all times.

8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I can't really speak to U-Haul wanting vehicles back at night... except I can't recommend them for ANYTHING
    U-Haul has had more accusations/citations/litigation about vehicle safety than I can even quantify. Add to that most U-Haul offices are franchises and freely pass vehicles back and forth, there is no accountability

While U-Haul rentals with a low daily rate, typically have mileage rates of $1.00-3.00/mile

9. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Did you think you got ripped off because of the low miles you put on it in a week?
    5 or 5000 has always been the same rate for me.

10. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

There is an Enterprise Rental location north of SeaTac Airport .On the Pacific Highway next to the northern car garage.i have used them several times and never have had any problem.