Nervous panel replacement

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Revin, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Ok I will try that when I has gass (pun intended :p)

2. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

I'm a rookie welder and have a Hobart ,take my advise if ya want but looks to hot and to much wire making up for the too much heat. Back down to b with a feed of 2-3. Tack the hole with 3-4 burst. That's pretty thick ,you might be better off drilling thru and using copper on back side . I use .30 solid wire and gas at 15. I also use no gas at same speed if not penetrating well. My tacks are never bigger than a 1/8" in size. Going bigger melts the metal. 2 second bursts has ben working for me.

3. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

I had thought about the wire dia.(0.25) but it seemed to work ok on other projects. Believe me I know about melting the panels...
    Right now I must have gotten something to stick. The panel is staying put without clamps. Ha.
    AND the AMD panel is a good fit at the door at least! :)

4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gas shielding is not measure in psi, most flow meters are in cfh (cubic feet per minute). Make sure you have the polarity correct for the wire you are using. FCAW(fluxcored wire) and GMAW(solid wire) use different polarity from each other. GMAW uses DCEP(the gun is DC+, or in other words DC electrode positive) while FCAW uses DCEN(the work clamp is DC+).

5. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Thanks john. Polarity is correct.

6. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Make sure your getting your shielding gas to the mig gun. If your using weld through primer clean it out of the plug hole before welding. Do not drill all the way through and use a copper backing plate. I run about 14 to 18 psi stargon gas and .35 wire(the wire size is because i got it for free).

7. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

8. 81 Sport Coupe

81 Sport Coupe Veteran Member

awesome bodywork! I saw another member got an AMD trunk pan, is that the sheet metal manufacture you stuck with as well? I have to do mine on my 81. I did my inner and outer rockers with AMD sheet metal and the fitment was perfect as well as the quality. I think the AMD trunk pan is around $430 though for my 81.

9. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Hey thanks for the kind words!
    Yes I have stuck with AMD parts. I got to say, I did look around for cheaper prices. Guess what, there are others selling AMD parts just cheaper price than AMD factory prices.
    Take your time to look around.
    I am very happy with the fit. Soon the interior will get the knife.;)

10. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Hey still hard at it here.:rolleyes:
    I got a new welding helmet and nice jacket. I also had to refill my argon....so I tried a local shop. Guess what?!
    The guy said I had the wrong bottle! I had straight argon, not argon/oxygen mix for my Mig. so we got the correct bottle and cheap I should add.
    Went home to play with the new toys and son of a gun... I can actually weld so much better now !!!:cool: I even impressed myself!
    No where near pro so I won't show any pics yet. but I now have a rear floor pan in and quarter and trunk pan. Front half of floor pan on both sides next! Maybe I should put the taillight panel on someday....

Broke away from welding to rebuild the differential. So back to welding!!!!:bowtie: