Never would have thought......

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Jimmac, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

Im swapping in a 454 into my camaro, driving to the parts store to get belts and hoses tonight got me to thinking. If someone would have told me when I was 16 years old in 1978, that I would still be working on the same camaro 40 years from then. I would have said they were crazy.
    I've owned the car for 40 years. Originally a 307 pg car. Went to a 350 th350, 396 th400 that never ran. Back to a 307 then a 400 again a 307 back to a 400 added a 6-71 to the 400. Pulled the small block for a used 454 2 weeks ago. I did swap the rear to a 3.07 12 bolt.
    Time sure does fly. I've had my 70 chevelle since 2005 too. Jim

Knuckle Dragger likes this.
  2. HOGDADDY

HOGDADDY Veteran Member

Man, time sure does fly...………. and I bet that Camaro will too!

3. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's awesome Jim !!!

4. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Do you remember when problems like cooling, fuel delivery, carb adjustment and stuff were kind of a PITA but, now with years of experience, those things are easy to figure out and fix without much thought.

5. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

it was like last weekend at roadkill, me and a friend was walking thru the pits. I run into this kid (college student) I sold a set of valve covers to a few months ago. he cant get his car to start in the pits. looms like they were at thier wits end, we come along peek under the hood, check spark, fuel in the bowl, no accelerator shot. turns out he rejetted the carb and the lever got hung up. get the pump lever working and it fires right up. He was happy the old times was there to help. jim

AllensaurusRex likes this.
  6. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

pulled the 400 2 sundays ago, dropped the 454 in last Friday, side tract last weekend, and after work but I did get it fired off tonight. just need to bolt the converter and order a shroud but if the good lord is willing, I should be taking it for a drive Sunday (busy saturday). jim

7. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yep, I've had my '74 Camaro since my dad gave to me in 1975 when I started college, and my '78 Z28 since it was new. Surprisingly, some people think we're crazy :crazy:

8. f-body freak

f-body freak Veteran Member

Not only working on it 40yrs later, but then getting on a hand held device & telling of your progress, & exchanging comments to a bunch of camaro minded lunatics. :bowtie:

MadMike likes this.
  9. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

You guys sure are right about time flying by. When I put the 461 in my Camaro I realized it had been 20 years since the car had seen a big block. The last time was a real bad experience but now that I do a lot of my own stuff this one has worked out great. Still have a bunch of people trying to get me to do the LS thing but I am looking at 1K just to get something like that going. I would not have a problem with an LS engine if the electronics and intakes were not so expensive, besides I like the looks of a nasty sounding BB Chevy. It's what a grew up on.

10. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

talking to the guy at the parts store, he was telling me why not a LS instead of a 454, he was telling me a 427 ls could be done for :eek:nly 10k". I laughed, told him I paid 80 bucks for my 454 and sold the serpentine for 60. jim

f-body freak and 1980RS like this.