Never would have thought......

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Jimmac, Jan 24, 2019.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

You could build a budget 427 BB Chevy for half that with some good aftermarket heads and beat that LS 427 too boot. We had a guy owned a C5 with an aftermarket LS 427 at the time that ran high 10's. That day at the track I asked him if he wanted to grudge race my old Camaro with a pump gas 358, he said "NO" you just ran a 10 flat, I said "so it should be a good race", no way was he going to race me even with all that fancy technology. Just goes to show, nothing wrong with a good old $80 454.

2. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

just crawled out from under the car, exhaust is done, gen light came on, took the lifetime warranty alt in and got a new one, (they didnt test it because it was 12 years old) replaced it and it turned out to be a bad ground on the regulator,
    all that's left is to bolt the converter and swap out the wheels because the front tire is junk

3. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

bolted the converter up, aired up the leaky front tire and took it for a drive.
    gen light came on swapped the alt then it went out, came back on at 1000 rpm or less, bought a new regulator and it fixed if for a few minutes but the regulator made a buzzing noise and the gen light came on at 1000. swapped out a extra old regulator and it seems fixed. Next up, rebuild another carb and hopefully it runs better. I used one of the old blower carbs that's been boost refrenced so the power valve isnt opening jim

1980RS likes this.
  4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Adapt a CS130 alternator from a late model on your car, I have on all my old hot rods. They put out more amps with less voltage. You need to get of an 89 Suburban with a 454, all you have to change is the pulley of an old style alt and get the wiring connector. Makes a works of difference for performance. Funny thing is the alt will cost more than you paid for the 454, LOL.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I bought my 78 Camaro 40 years ago (this week).

It had 10K miles on it and I drove it year-round for 14 years.

I brought my first son home from the hospital in it.

I learned a lot about car repair and maintenance but rust eventually started to make its way through too many panels.

I pulled the drive train and stuck it in an 80 which had a far better body.

I still have the 80 and many parts from my first car are still in use on it.