New 1911 45acp-- your thoughts?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 72350RS, Nov 24, 2010.

1. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^+2
    for the Para P14 45 Best gun I own. I am looking into the LDA as well. When I get some extra cash after a few projects are finished

Mike

2. 67lemanster

67lemanster Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

how about remington rand ;)

[​IMG]

3. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Bingo.

Main reason I don't own one. Because all the major players are trying to sell
    me the same gun that's been around for over a century for $1,000-$3,000 :rolleyes:
    with minor upgrades, and bling......and still a limited capacity.

For $1000-$3000 I want a badass rifle.....not a 100 year old design handgun with 7 rounds.

I carried them on watch in the military everytime I was on duty and frankly
    I wasn't THAT impressed with it to spend all that money on it. I was expert qaul'd
    on it everytime except boot camp. To me, there's newer and cooler weapons out
    there for less. (HK USP .45, Sig P-series)

Closest I came to a 1911 purchase was in Knob Creek Kentucky with Dave (theflash)
    and a guy was offloading his black Para Ordnance staggered stack .45. It didn't
    feel like a quality made weapon in my hand though......just something about it felt cheap.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  4. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I bought a near new Colt Gold Cup National Match, Series 80 MKIV a few years back. Dead nuts accurate and never hung up once. Like it better than a Sig or an HK. I tried them both before deciding on the Colt.

I like the feel of the 1911 because I do not have "banana hands" to hold a Desert Eagle type grip.

5. Buckneccid

Buckneccid Veteran Member

NICE 67 Lemans!! I got lucky once, I was working for this older lady who was a multimillionaire, had things like personal invites to Nixon's inauguration hanging on the walls, and one day we were talking about how she was scared at times since her hubby had passed. I offered to help her find a gun. She told me she had some "big old thing Jimmy had handed her once, but she didn't know what it was. Time passed, and she was coming back from Fl the next year, and when I saw her, she took me into her penthouse to show me the gun. Pulled out a 1911, told me she didn't know if it was loaded or not, hadn't touched it since he gave it to her about 1966. Drop the mag, yeppers, loaded, nice green rounds lol. Racked the slide and one popped out... Anyway, turned out to be an Ithaca, 1942, still had cosmoline inside the slide, and looked to have never been fired. She asked me if I thought she could get anything out of it, and Me welll..... trying to be somewhat honest, I told her the military was releasing vintage issue .45's for about $250/$300 (this was about 1994) and she told me she'd sell it to me for the $250. Yea, I jumped all over it. Her grandson had always wanted a Colt series 70 stainless I had, and trying to be a nice guy, thinking he'd want his grandfather's gun, I sold it to him for what I had paid for it. Found it about 3 months later in a pawn shop :(

6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

7. high impact

high impact Veteran Member

I love this 1911 - shoots like a dream and have had no problems with it.

Sig Platinum Elite 1911 .45

[​IMG]

8. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

I have both a Dan Wesson CBOB, and a Kimber pro Raptor II. Both have been flawless.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Desert_Dick72SS

Desert_Dick72SS Veteran Member

I own a polished stainless series 80 Colt Gold Cup, that I've had since the 80's.
    I have run more than 10,000 rounds through it and it is still reliable & accurate.
    Nowadays there are lots of great quality 1911's out there, and even some of the cheap ones (Rock Island/Norinco) can be built up into nice customs that shoot as good as most.
    (you'll probably get dozens of different recommendations, but you're already ahead in my opinion, just by choosing the 1911 design over the others out there...John Browning did a great job on it, here it is 100 years later and they're still the first choice of many)
    My two cents..

-Rich

10. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used my Para P14 to shoot IPSC. It NEVER failed to go BOOM when the trigger is pulled. I got my CCW with it last year. The instructors were duly impressed with my ability to put ten round in the center mass A zone at 15 yards. Not bragging, just stating facts. All that "practice" by shooing IPSC has paid off with my being able to double and triple tap any target within range in the head zone and/or the center mass A zone.