New car, sort of.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, Apr 22, 2018.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I got a car in trade about a week ago. I've fixed a lot of the issues from sitting for 3 or 4 years and it's running pretty good.

0422181436a.jpg 0422181436a.jpg 0422181436.jpg

I probably need to break down and get a Bentley repair manual for it. It's 1997 BMW 328i. 6 banger and 5 speed manual. Outside of some hood damage from being allowed to fly open at speed, twice, it's pretty straight. Now, I would never speed of course but hypothetically, it will run 120 on the interstate with no pulling to the side or rough ride.

I've had 3 series BMW's and if they would have been this comfortable, I'd probably still have them. the fellow I got it from wasn't prepared for how these cars are to be maintained. Those wiper blades are $65 a set. One set per side. There's a secondary blade for high speed driving if the first blade is pushed flat.

Zstar likes this.
  2. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Congrats on the new ride.

I repair cars for a living and knowing what kind of upkeep is required on BMW's, Mercedes, etc.... it's safe to say I'll never own one.

Shizzle likes this.
  3. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Those are sweet cars! Congrats.

4. ol' grouch

I don't plan to keep it. I pulled the gnawed portion of fuel line out and I'll slide some hose over it with multiple clamps to keep it from leaking. The alternative is removing the rear axle, exhaust, K frame and putting a new line in. It'll be a good running and reliable car when I send it along. the only German car I'd like to have is an SL or SLK Mercedes with the folding hardtop. I had an SL for years but the top was getting to be too much for me to handle.

The main reason I got rid of my previous 3 series BMW wasn't the repairs, it was the idiots that would cut me off and play games in traffic. I could almost hear the cops eyeballs click as I drove by. Then they'd lose interest when they saw the grey beard and hair.

Zstar likes this.
  5. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

My buddy at work, his cousin works for a Mercedes, Jaguar, Volvo dealer.
    He told him to lease it not buy it because when they have crap go wrong it’s mucho bucks to fix it.

6. The Chucker

The Chucker Veteran Member

I had a 2000 540i and you are spot on. There's something about that BMW stereotype.

7. ol' grouch

That and this are both E39's. I think the engine was bigger on yours but this puppy will still fly. I'm just past the hot rodding stage anymore. My Grand Marquis will fly too.