New main bearing wear

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by CoastieJoe, Oct 15, 2019.

1. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

You didn't by any chance put anything on the back side of the bearings on final assembly? Anything?

2. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

That sounds good enough to me. It's been a long time since I had a chance to inspect some low mileage bearings but I am always surprised how scuffed up they looked after only a few miles. I have never taken out bearings that looked pristine and new. I kinda think that's how they break in/wear in. I have always used the red slippery assembly lube since the 80's, can't remember the name of it right now. I think you might be ok after all.

3. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Main bearings on the crank out of round? How did the old caps look like?

4. CoastieJoe

CoastieJoe Member

The caps look good and I just re measured all the bearing clearances and they are at .002. I'm thinking about running them. Anyone think I should get new ones? Also just to try something new what's everyone put on their main and rod bearings when installing?

5. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Those pictures of the bearings in the block look very dry and clean to me.
    NO way I could make my bearings look that oil /lube free unless I took them out and solvent cleaned them and solvent cleaned the block as lube will be dripping on stuff.

I want to know what lube you used and did you clean it off for the pictures???

I use driven assembly lube or Lucas or the EOS and sometimes just Gibbs BR oil.. never an issue with any of it but it leaves everything oily. My bearings look like new after a few turns.

I think your lube is poor.
    Buddy used WD40 once..Parts store told him he did not need anything on the bearings.
    WOW!

6. CoastieJoe

CoastieJoe Member

I did clean them off to better show the wear.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

For an engine that’s never been run?

8. CoastieJoe

CoastieJoe Member

Yes never run

9. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

I'd think about sending it out to be line honed & get the crank checked for straightness.
    I had one like that but it was run, took it down at 15000 miles copper showing in some places on the mains.

10. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

The wear pattern looks within reason, and perhaps turned too many times on the dry side. If you could turn easy by hand with the mains TQ'd down you will be OK.

IF you can, set the lower mains in place only, lay in the crank, and toss a dial indicator on the middle main (3rd) it will tell you the run-out if any, repeat on the others to see what comes up.