New Owner of 81 305 4 speed

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by MZ250, Feb 9, 2020.

1. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Lucky Duck. I would Have fun and burn the rubber off the old tires.

2. MZ250

MZ250 New Member

Well, the real reason will remain one of life's great mysteries, because I was not about to ask questions. We have a friend we see at the corner bar a couple times a month, known her for a few years, she's widowed and retired, but has a boyfriend who we rarely see, he's a shy fellow. Anyhow, two weeks ago, she mentions that she is moving in with him, and he has an old car in his garage that she thought was a Mustang or something, but the "paint is beautiful!" was all she really knew. I told her I'd come look at it someday. Now I am not a rich man, but I do like to build and restore old bikes, at one point I had 11 vintage bikes in my garage, and I am now building a drag bike based on an old East German 2 stroke, plus two more old twins that need restoration, so I was NOT looking for another project. I made no effort to press her on the car. Fast forward a week, I get a text from her, about 6 pictures of this car, along with the mileage, motor size, etc and her saying I could have it for free. My response was one word:

"Free?"

Yes, she confirmed, free to a good home.

My next response was also one word:

"Deal."

The rest of that evening was spent trying to figure out how to explain this to the wife. So I took a day off work to help them move and see the car in person and make sure that her guy knew what she was up to. He was all about it, had the title ready for me, told me all about the car, how he bought it new in 81 for 9 grand, never drove it in rain or snow, had the underbody coated (as if it needed selling to me). This is a man I had never said three words to in my life, handing me this car. Nothing wrong with it besides having sat for 13 years in a garage. I had it flat bed towed home 3 days later. I cannot explain this good fortune, and I am not about to question it. I promised him I would not sell it, even though he said I could. All he asked was for a ride in it when it runs again. So be it.

Incidentally, about 3 years ago, I sat down next to a total stranger in the same bar, and by the end of the week, he had gifted me his long-sitting but clean and complete 1974 Suzuki GT750 "Water Buffalo," a rare and highly sought after vintage motorcycle. It is now my daily rider in the summer. I have to stop going to that bar before I wind up with somebody's helicopter collection.

tom3 likes this.
  3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Hell I would come buy ya a beer to see if any of that rubbed off on me. LOL

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

I think I would buy the bar

budro6968 likes this.
  5. Iron Man

Iron Man New Member

Great find. Have you tried taking the key out when it is in reverse?

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Try turning the collar on the steering column (just in front of the gauges) Counter-clockwise and then pull the key.

If that works, you backdrive linkage from the transmission need adjustment.

7. f-body freak

f-body freak Veteran Member

Great find. What a crazy story. You must be quite the charmer, lol

8. MZ250

MZ250 New Member

Yep, that worked! Twisted the collar to the left and out came the keys. Thanks a million.

9. MZ250

MZ250 New Member

Well, apparently not, because it does come out when the transmission is in reverse. I assume this is a deliberate feature to prevent leaving the car in neutral?

10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Called reverse Lock out. Also the Clutch pedal has to be depressed for the Starter to engage. That is if the safety switch is still hooked up. A good thing to have.