New owner of a 71 Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 93z, Dec 17, 2018.

1. 93z

93z Member

Hey guys. I recently picked up a 71 Camaro. I’d been searching for something for awhile, but my region is pretty limited so I wasn’t having much luck. I finally came across this 71 posted on Craigslist just an hour away and spoke to the owner quick enough to make a deal.

The car was listed as a documented SS m20 4 speed with factory ac and with the build sheet in hand. I was skeptical as the images shared in the ad were showing z28 badges all around. Either way, the body only appears to have surface rust and no visible rust whatsoever in the trunk/floors/underneath. Apparently the owner before the guy I bought it from had it stored in a warehouse since 1984 due to and accident he had that rendered him severely disabled(it was a pretty crazy story honestly.) I do believe the car has been stored for quite some time as the car looks pretty immaculate underneath and as seen in the images, has a very 80s theme going on.

So I struck a pretty solid deal, loaded the car up in the freezing snow in the dark, and drove it home. I got to studying the build sheet and unfortunately it doesn’t appear to be my cars build sheet. The serial number is 4 units off my VIN serial, the body paint code on the cowl tag is different than the one on the build sheet, and if it was an actual m20 car, I can’t explain why there would be an automatic shift indicator between the MPH and tach location(tach has been removed and an oversized fuel level gauge installed for some reason.). I don’t know much about the car honestly and I’m skeptical I will find the build sheet for my actual car. Does anyone know if the column shift cars were the only ones with a shift indicator in between the two large gauge pods, or did floor shifters also have that indicator? I was told an auto was in it, but it’s got a clutch and bellhousing bolted up to it now and the trans tunnel has been butchered pretty bad. It needs a lot of work to get street worthy again but I’m definitely excited to get going on it. No current plans which direction it’ll go as I’m still finished body and paint on my 93 z28. Also, if anyone knows the owner of the car listed on this build sheet let me know and I’d be happy to get the build sheet to him.

Attached Files:

brooksman9 likes this.
  2. 93z

93z Member

This is the build sheet that came with the car.

Attached Files:

3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The std cars just had a piece of tape over the indicator so that is normal in a std car, it sure is a day 2 looking example , Nice find.

4. 93z

93z Member

Well that’s good to know. Thanks Dave! I was definitely confused because the steering column only has the turn signal lever and no evidence on the other side it ever had any other lever for shifting. Do you have any pics or anything showing how it was from the factory (ie: was it a decal or just a piece of ordinary tape covering the indicator). One of the pics on the ad showed a large tach with shift light sitting there on the steering column, however that was gone when I arrived to pick the car up. I’m pretty sure the owner only used this car at the drag strip as it’s got a massively tall intake on it, twin holly carbs, a chrome 12 bolt (80s flair again) and I have a couple bins full of parts that include lifters, valves, and a cam with another ring and pinion set. Plus, the car is sitting on Hoosier slicks wirh skinnies up front. I was told the 8k miles the odometer shows are original miles but I’m hesitant to believe that as well.

Attached Files:

5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That would explain the shifter , and I see what looks like a drive shaft loop, looks really clean under there, you just may want to be sure that everything is still lined up, as these cars don't have a full frame , so things can get twisted out of place, just start reading up on the 2nd gen cars and going into the old threads using the search feature to learn all that you can, so you have a good idea of what to look for and what you are looking at, have fun with the project!!

hubedobeedo and 93z like this.
  6. 93z

93z Member

I’ll definitely be using these forums quite a bit and researching all I can. I appreciate your insight. Luckily the previous owner installed a pretty stout set of subframe connectors so I’m hoping it was enough to keep everything from twisting. I’ll do some looking to make sure, but so far everything seems pretty straight.

7. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Nice find looks really solid.

If you decide to sell those wheels or any of the old speed parts let me know

93z likes this.
  8. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice find! Welcome!

93z likes this.
  9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Looks like a nice car that's the basis of a project where you could do anything you want.

93z likes this.
  10. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

solid body mounts - must do those too if not already done.

93z likes this.