new power window harness issue

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Layne02, May 12, 2019.

1. Layne02

Layne02 Veteran Member

Ive installed a new Painless power window/door lock harness in my 80 Z28. Everything is new. Passenger side window works great, door locks work, but, drivers side window doesnt work, or at least it doesn't move. The relays click when I move switch one direction , but do not click when I move switch opposite direction on the driver side only . This harness is very simple , everything is connnected , I cant figure out where problem is. I thought motor was bad at first but got another motor and same result. Anyone have an idea to try? Oh, I also tried the old window switch , same thing. Help!

2. Layne02

Layne02 Veteran Member

Ok, I semi fixed my problem. I read through some threads and decided trouble may be a ground problem, sooo I ran a ground from battery to where lock switch grounds to door, and drivers window went up in a flash, BUT, I still cannot get anything pressing it down. Nothing, no movement, and relays not clicking. So getting closer.

3. Layne02

Layne02 Veteran Member

Ok got it all solved. First problem was one of the factory crimped wires at window switch wasnt crimped well and wasnt making contact. Crimped down on it good and it works great now. Second problem was one of the two new motors I had was apparently bad, worked intermittently. Put the other motor and and windows work perfectly now. The 4 relays is the way to go on windows , they go up and down in a flash.

But now have a different problem, door lock actuators work but arent strong enough to fully travel the distance they need to. Could it just be old worn mechanisms? I sprayed with WD 40 , all I had, but still no go. Could it be actuator not strong enough or is it just probably gummed up mechanisms?