New Powerplant for '73

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Kyle C, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Kyle C

Kyle C Member

I am still several months away from needing a drivetrain for my '73. I plan to go with a Gen III but am not having any luck buying a complete car, wrecked of course. I've heard that the iron block truck motors are a good option and are less expensive than the fbody stuff. Anyone have any good information or opinions relative to iron vs. aluminum?

2. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Well, besides sticking to aluminum for the weight savings....they've been sticking the iron blocks on the blown motors - turbo/supercharger....and of course anything that was pretty wild.

From what I've seen....yeah, they're alot cheaper to go that route.

3. schitzo

schitzo Veteran Member

yes...the truck motors can be had for next to nothing and they can be bored out( I believe). you can make a decent performer on a budget if you start with a truck motor.
    as for finding a recked donor car, be patient and keep looking something will turn up.
    hang around the conversions forum at ls1tech.com...there is some good info there

4. joeljet

joeljet Veteran Member

i got the entire 6.0l and tranny from an escalade for a $1000 then i sold the awd tranny for $450 and bought a 4l60e from a camaro for $400. i beleive the iron block only weighs about 60lbs more than the aluminum and you have the ability to bore it. its all going in a 73 formula (hope its all right for a pontiac dude to post on this forum) get pacesetter offroad headers from a 98-02 fbody. keep looking theres deals out there. second vote for ls1tech, never seen a busier website

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  5. Ceth

Ceth Veteran Member

I guess thats not a bad idea, is it? Going with an all iron 6.0L? You still have to use all the fabricated stuff from the LSx family of motors, which still makes it an expensive swap. I mean such as custom mounts, expensive wiring kits, parts, fuel system etc. I still think the lt-1 is the budget build of this decade, since it appears to drop right in with a few mods. I will tell you in a few months though.