New Refrigerant in 2013+ vehicles is very dangerous

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Aceshigh, May 20, 2014.

1. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

But, CO2 is only one oxygen atom away from toxic carbon monoxide!
    (Or one carbon atom from an extremely flammable substance... OXYGEN!!! :eek: )

;)

These chemicals are pretty safe when they are confined to their working environments or released under normal temps and pressures.

It's the combination of heat, oil, atmosphere AND the refrigerant which can lead to ugly reactions which are not friendly to us carbon-based life forms.

2. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Front end collisions with any kind of system fire ignited concerns me with that necrosis and breathing into the lungs. Never knew that was that deadly before, and its not an unimaginable thing to happen.

Especially if ur suckin outside air into the cabin via the system.Thats a death sentence even if you walk away it seems.

3. 91chevywt

91chevywt Veteran Member

I can't comment on an R134a fire, but if the studies of this refrigerant are correct I would be concerned for Fire/EMS that may be exposed to a HFO-1234yf fire. The article suggests that only a hot surface is necessary to trigger a fire which would release truly nasty HF.

4. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

Has anyone been around a modern car on fire? All the plastics that are used in cars these days will overwhelm anyone in seconds. And these are nothing special fires, just an open air slow roast car-b-q type fires that belch out clouds of toxic smoke.

This case is real easy to solve, don't route A/C lines near exhaust parts. They don't say in the article at what temp. it takes to cause all those nasty things but usually it requires very high temps (hence the hot turbo).

5. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The entire industry is forced to swap MTBE for Ethanol and nobody bats an eye....

See signature below....

6. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Name this car

[​IMG]

Total burn time was about 7 minutes and that is the radiator melted in the front. I'm sure the toxic smoke traveled pretty well. How much more dangerous is adding a neurotoxin?

7. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Odd, 10 years ago I heard everyone was going to switch to CO2 for vehicle A/C systems. I don't work with those guys anymore, but I wonder what happened to that. Europe in particular was supposedly eager to make that switch.

8. norwood

norwood Veteran Member

OXYGEN is not flammable, it is an oxidizer. An oxidizer is necessary for combustion but by itself it will NOT burn.

9. rwild1967

rwild1967 Veteran Member

What a silly thing to say. Oxygen alone (and as far as I know neither will any other element) will not combust, because there must be something to react with. Didn't you pay attention in school? The fire triangle? You have to have fuel, oxygen, and heat.

Edit: post above was edited to make more sense.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  10. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

There's also the fire tetrahedron.....

.[​IMG]