New Roof Weather Seal...Too Thick

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by GoldenOne7710, Nov 9, 2019.

1. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

So...I stopped in at Year One today since I was in close proximity. Carried in the original and the Metro. Man at the counter brought out the Soffseal and cut the package open so we could compare them all. The Soffseal is made much more accurate in regards to thickness in this specific area. It's actually dang near identical to the orginal seal. Appreciate your input on this issue. Now I can get this installed and hopefully move forward with this ridiculously long restoration. I'm oh...so close to having it DONE.

70RamAirIII and ezstriper like this.
  2. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yep, that matches my experience. The Soffseal is holding up well now for several years.

You realize though...It’s never really DONE. lol

GoldenOne7710 and 70RamAirIII like this.
  3. ezstriper

ezstriper New Member

Many of the aftermarket weather strips I've run into are like that...knock off junk, not sure on the soffseal stuff, would hope they are better...

4. GoldenOne7710

Comparing them side by side, up close, in person, the Soffseal appears like it should work perfectly. I will know for sure Saturday and report back here....with pictures.

5. steve vuk

steve vuk Vuk

The parts place has new repro ones that are made almost as factory I bought those and I bought all others also and the new ones from the parts place claim to be made from the same material as factory they are def softer and feel like the factory material

6. rburrow87

rburrow87 Member

I really don't like how the doors have to be closed aggressively with aftermarket seals. I've spent a lot of time aligning and re-aligning the windows to get them to the point where they seal, can be rolled up and down with the door closed, and the door opened and closed with the window up or down without sealing issues.

The Soffseal door and roof seals I have have been installed for a couple years now and I think they fit much better than the Metros that I had installed a year before that. Still feel like they're much too stiff though. The Metro seals were stiffer and thicker which made it hard to close the door and align the glass even after being installed for weeks. And the area where the rear of the door seal, the glass, and the roof seal all met was a leaky disaster that couldn't be fixed with any kind of door/glass/weatherstrip channel alignment. At least with the set I had.

I saw that The Parts Place is selling those Latex seals too -- WS6392F and WS6389F. I am seriously considering picking up a set. I drive my 2nd gen a lot so the cost is worth it to me. I'd really like them to open and close like you'd expect an average car door to open a close.

steve vuk likes this.
  7. GoldenOne7710

Installed the new Soffseal roofrail seal today. The thickness at the same point of the Soffseal is much thinner. Something else I noticed, the thick point of the Metro, it went from hollow to solid...which explains why there was extremely little "give" where the window made contact.

The Soffseal is not only molded more accurately to the original, but also hollow all the way down...just like the original GM seal I took off. The fit all the way around is great.
    20191130_101409.jpg
    We will definitely be able to move the door glasses back forward so that the entire glass/rubber contact seals up tight.

8. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Glad it worked out for you!

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  9. 7dcamaro

7dcamaro Veteran Member

I saw that The Parts Place is selling those Latex seals too -- WS6392F and WS6389F. I am seriously considering picking up a set. I drive my 2nd gen a lot so the cost is worth it to me. I'd really like them to open and close like you'd expect an average car door to open a close.[/QUOTE]

Has anyone tried the Latex seals from the Parts Place mentioned above?

10. rburrow87

rburrow87 Member

I actually ended up buying them not long after I posted that.

Only have the passenger side set installed so far. I think its been about a week now. I'm planning to install the driver's side set some time this week or over the weekend. They are better seals to work with IMO.

The roof seal is much much softer all the way around compared to the Soffseals, even the ends and corner piece. And they're not softer because my Soffseals were used and weathered, I had actually bought a brand new set of Soffseal roof rail seals but didn't install them because they felt too similar to the old ones. That's what made me to look for Latex seals in the first place, or at least something more like the soft OEM seals.

The door seal actually didn't feel much different from the Soffseal (which is already pretty soft), but I think it fits better and the ends were shaped a little differently - in a good way.

Assuming the driver side goes in and works as well as the passenger side did, I will be very happy with these Parts Place latex seals. Totally worth the extra cost for me.

steve vuk likes this.