New Scam

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1980RS, Jan 11, 2019.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Seems the scammers are starting a new one these days. I got a prepaid card in the mail and all I have to do is activate the card and put money on it. Here is the kicker, it has my first and middle name on it but not my last name, YA OK, not falling for this one scam scam scam.

Anyway the card is AKIMBO so if you get one in the mail toss it.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I can't understand people getting these debit cards though some unknown internet service. Many of them are scams, and they are too costly. You can get a no fee debit card from your local bank or credit union where you are dealing with someone a lot more trustworthy.

3. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Is there a return address on the envelope? I'd call the Postmaster and/or state attorney general. Mail fraud. The scammers had to be sending out a lot of them, so there has to be a way for the source to be tracked.

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Let's face it, the government at any level doesn't care. Nobody ever gets tried, convicted, or even investigated for this crap. Sometimes a TV station will get into it if some local elderly person gets scammed, but still nothing comes of it unless the bank will cover the loss. It's the wild west out there.

Knuckle Dragger likes this.
  5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I should call the cards number and screw with them to see what happens, it's fun. My favorite name I use with scammers is the on a guy put on a check for gas at the station years ago, U Ben Hadd. When I looked at the check I said "hey U Ben your check is no good" then I called the cops and he was arrested. I always use that now with scammers.

6. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

The trouble is the vast majority of these are out of the country which pretty much makes it a dead end as far as having somebody arrested or even getting your $$$ back.

7. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Sad, but true. In another world, It would be nice if a covert team of pissed off retired Navy Seals that had been (or Parents had been) scammed tracks them to their shitholes in Berzerkistan and executes them.

gramps likes this.
  8. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

But then that also goes back to a lot of issues that would be resolved from stiffer or ACTUAL penalties.

Sorry. If convicted of rape - public castrations. Murder = public execution. Make crime an actual penalty. And not a private one. The whole world needs to know who you are and what you did and what ultimate price you payed for it. THATS a deterrent.
    20 years with more cable channels and decent meals and full medical care is 100x more than the rest of us working honest law abiding slobs get for busting our asses.

SRGN likes this.
  9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

A pre-paid card you have to load...Why would you want one of those??? Weird..