New Shocks?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Paul Calland, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Paul Calland

Paul Calland New Member

Hey all,

I'm in need of new shocks for my 79 z28 and am not savvy when it comes to suspension work. I know engine weight is a factor when it comes to replacing them...? So I figured I'd provide my engine type if that helps. I have a 350 sbc built out to a 383 stroker! Please let me know what the best option is for my car! Preferably not to expensive either! Thanks!

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I went to an AC Delco store and bought gas cushioned shocks for my 70 Z28 and they are great and guaranteed for life to the original purchaser. Been on my car since about 1990. Previous to these I had Koni’s and both rears were shot after 8 yrs.

Paul Calland likes this.
  3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What is your suspension setup and what do you want to do? For a street car, you can't go wrong with AC Delco, something near stock. With my original rubber suspension, I had good luck with Monroe Gas-Matic shocks. Now I'm lowered a bit, solid body bushings, delrin bushings all around, using Koni reds.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Is the car stock and are there any plans for upgrades. I have used KYBs Konis .Carrea shocks over the years .Alot depends on your budget as well .Good luck to you.

5. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure GABRIEL makes shocks for AC. They tend to be a little less expensive but I think they are identical. I.E. : AC DELCO Professional = GABRIEL Ultrashock. Check out RockAuto.

Zstar likes this.
  6. camaro lover

camaro lover Veteran Member

I bought ac delco. I'm in canada. Not sure where your location is but I found Amazon was $50 less then my local parts place.

7. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Gabriel Ultrashock, you won't be sorry.