New to the forum with a 1971 Z28

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by newtodu06, Aug 20, 2019.

1. newtodu06

newtodu06 New Member

I've been on this site for a number of years because I always had a fondness for old Camaro's. I've owned 2 back in the 70's and just recently purchased a numbers matching 1971 Z28. As far as I can tell, it was a well maintained California Z, with correct heads, carb, intake, body features, etc. I'll be on here asking questions and getting advice in the future, please bear with this old man with a young heart for these cars.

The first thing I noticed with the Z is I have an issue with the secondaries not opening up when they should. On a recent drive, I mashed down on the gas, and found the gas pedal rod was being 'blocked' by the existing carpet on the floor pan. After checking out some stuff, I noticed the gas pedal pad was missing, and I think the angle of the rod is not far enough away from the floor pan. I have to look under the carpet to see if the pins for the floor mounted pedal are there, but my guess is they are not there because the floor pans are new, so one project is to decide if I want to hang the gas pedal, or attach it to the floor like it should be. My question is this: Has anyone needed to bend the gas pedal rod to get it farther away from the floor pan? Is that normal?

Attached Files:

2. x77-69z28

x77-69z28 Veteran Member

That is the correct set up for the floor mounted gas pedal. Should be an easy fix. It is one of the identifiers of the 70-71 Z28’s. It is covered in the assembly manual. It will eliminate any question that your car is in fact a Z. I would look twice at a Z without a floor mounted gas pedal. Just my .02.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    newtodu06 likes this.
  3. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. As Buddy mentioned, adjusting (bending) the throttle rod is not difficult to get the extra travel needed, but there may be other issues at play. For example, does your car have the correct throttle cable?...a slightly longer cable would produce the same results and is the cable connected to the correct hole on the carburetor throttle arm? Using the wrong hole on the carb throttle arm could also result in the condition reported.

Personally, I would keep the floor mounted set-up..part of what made the 70-71 Z28s unique.

gpm6367 and newtodu06 like this.
  4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The correct pedal is fairly easy to find.
    The floor bracket with the studs will be harder to find, if it's not under the carpet.

Yes... The rod can be bent to compensate for thicker carpet and/or padding but I would look into adjustments at the engine end of the throttle cable before resorting to "tweaking" the arm.

newtodu06 likes this.
  5. newtodu06

newtodu06 New Member

Thanks guys.
    I just checked the floor pan and the holes are there for the floor mounted pedal. I’ll check out a gas pedal diagram and make a parts list. Tricky part is getting through the carpet. So....here goes...

6. x77-69z28

x77-69z28 Veteran Member

I have the utmost confidence in you! I just did a quick eBay search and got an email from a member and 2nd gen judge at the Camaro nationals, Steve Nuwer. He has reproduced the parts for the floor mounted gas pedal. Check out www.2ndgenz.com

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  7. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not quite sure what you mean. the factory cut out a square-ish section of the carpet as the floor bracket mounts directly to the floor pan/toe-board. I can send you a .pdf instruction sheet on the installation if you wish, but I cannot upload a .pdf in this reply, so send me your email address through the "conversation" function.

8. newtodu06

newtodu06 New Member

Nice! Thanks!

9. newtodu06

newtodu06 New Member

If you would send me that, that would be great. I'll do that in a bit.
    Thanks.

10. gpm6367

gpm6367 Veteran Member Gold Member

Plus one...big time...