New Urethane Nose Arrived Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by RickM, Jul 13, 2018.

1. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

Apr 16, 2004
    Gaithersburg, MD
    My new urethane nose from Summit arrived.

Some observations
    • It seems very stiff compared to the old one, probably goes to show how worn the original was
    • Whatever coating (primer) they put on seems like it was brushed or sprayed on very thick some spots were so thick I could peel some of the primer off but not going down to the base, the piece will definitely need some sanding in a few spots, not everywhere
    • There are some minor imperfections that will need some filler
    • My biggest beef is that many of the tabs don't have the holes drilled
    • Plus the 10 holes that hold the inner structure in place along the top are not drilled
    • The holes that are drilled (where it attaches to the fender and bumper seem to be OK but only until I get the inner structure in will I really know
    • There is a tag on the piece that says it could be slightly deformed and needs to sit in the sun for 1/2 hour before a trial fit
    • I have no beef on how it was packaged
    • Also it arrived here in 3 days very fast
    I am not a body man by any stretch of the imagination but I am hoping that I can make this work after all what are my options? Not going fiberglass. How hard is it to drill some holes in urethane? And I can sand and fill the minor imperfections.

Here are some pics I am hoping the sun will help with the gaps between where the upper and lower grills go. Also installing the inner structure should help.

No Holes here either there should be 10 holes drilled across the top
    WP_20180713_19_15_05_Pro.jpg
    This is how it was shipped
    WP_20180713_19_11_01_Pro (2).jpg
    Holes Not drilled
    WP_20180713_19_17_35_Pro.jpg
    Holes not drilled in the tabs
    WP_20180713_19_17_15_Pro.jpg

I will report back after it bakes in the sun tomorrow.

RickM

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Do you have the old one to use as a template for the holes. And have you trialed fitted it to see how it fits.?

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    They are shipped in a very "squished-down" shape.

I'm not sure what you would do with one in a cold climate but they do return pretty much back to proper shape when left in the sun on a warm day.

Warm it up then put the inner structure back in place to see how it looks.

The urethane takes almost no effort to drill. (Even dull bit will cut it like butter.)

You can definitely use a couple of extra sets of hands to help hold it in place while you drill the holes exactly where you nee them.

Hope it turns out well!

4. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

Apr 16, 2004
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Yes I have the old one. I just got this today. Gonna let it burn in the sun for a few hours then try to fit the inner structure.

The unit came with instructions to let it sit in the sun for 1/2 hour before a trial fit.

Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and 85

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  5. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

Apr 16, 2004
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Thanks Twisted I was really surprised by how stiff it is compared to the old one.

I actually would like to fix a couple of holes in the fiberglass inner structure where the screw holes are stripped.

I will probably be asking for advice on how to do that, but I can still try to see if I can get the inner structure installed and do a trial fit first.

Seems lie it never ends.

Another question for you guys I removed the 2 metal brackets that are in the bottom of the nose, it is attached by rivets.

Do you guys transfer those pieces or is it a waste of time? The new piece seems able to accept those brackets, the oval holes in the brackets are there in the new piece and seem to line up well, but the rivet holes will need to be drilled. My car is not a Z. Are those brackets for the lower spoiler?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  6. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Brackets are for the lower spoiler. They will help line up the bumper. I'd use them. Soften it up in sun and also put it on car and stretch back into shape. Use epoxy to fix holes on bumper insert.

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Are you going to add a front spoiler ? if not do it exactly as you take it off,Take pictures to make sure.

8. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

Apr 16, 2004
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Ok I am trying a trial fit on the new nose and I am having trouble getting it to line up with the hood.

I need to somehow move my front bumper (impact bar) to the left, not much probably 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch.

How can I do this? Is the adjustment in the core support bushings?

Help
    RickM

9. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

Apr 16, 2004
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Well I am now officially retired so I have more time to work on my car.

I have spent a lot of time on the new bumper cover and have finally got the fiberglass insert bolted in.

I am spending a lot of time drilling holes, still not done but I am taking it slow, measuring twice so I don't make a bad mistake, regardless the holes are simple to drill, takes about 2 seconds per hole.

I had to drill these 10 holes
    WP_20180817_17_30_18_Pro.jpg
    And these 4 (2 on each side) this is where the headlight bezel screws into the fiberglass insert
    WP_20180817_17_31_44_Pro.jpg
    I also had to drill this hole
    WP_20180817_17_35_38_Pro.jpg
    I also drilled about 9 holes and riveted the 2 lower metal bars that are used to bolt a spoiler and to help with the shape of the bottom.
    WP_20180817_17_35_27_Pro.jpg
    I still need to drill the holes for these tabs that are bolted to the impact bar
    WP_20180817_17_33_35_Pro.jpg
    I also need to fix these holes that don't line up with the fiberglass insert
    WP_20180817_17_30_35_Pro.jpg WP_20180817_17_30_51_Pro.jpg

Finally there is no way an 80/81 front upper grill will mount with the mounting tabs. The tabs are fine for a 78/79 but the tabs are too short to reach the mounting holes of a 80/81 grill. I believe I will have to plastic weld the tabs from my old bumper cover to the short tabs that came with this bumper cover. Anyone else have this problem.

Soon I will try to mount this to the car that is where the real fun starts.

RickM

10. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    I got a repo nose and it was a stretch but redrilling and using clips I was able to get the grill to fit on a 81

Attached Files: