No Spark No Start

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by kevins72splitbumper, Aug 20, 2019.

1. kevins72splitbumper

kevins72splitbumper New Member

72 Camaro SS 350 wont start I just bought this car and has been sitting a long time completely stock car no mods so far I did a new battery new starter new coil new points I don't know how to adjust them anyway I have 9.83 volts at the coil positive when cranking and 6 volts at the coil when key is in the on position I don't see any spark coming from the coil wire when cranking any help would be great thanks

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you don't have a dwell meter then use a feeler gauge to set the points. Turn the rotor so the dist cam lobe is on one of the high points then set to .016 for used points and .019 for new. Set with a slight drag. If the condensor is bad the engine will not start.

IMG_2450.jpg

Use an Allen key to adjust the points. The 1st pic is a 6 cyl that does not have points with the Allen key adjuster.
    IMG_2451.JPG

IMG_2912.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  3. kevins72splitbumper

Thanks for your help I read that your supposed to leave the mounting screws loose is this true? this is very frustrating to me all tips and tricks are welcome and thanks again everone

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I've always tightened the mounting screws for the points when I install them. If the points manuafcturer set them close from the factory, you should be able to install them, tighten the screws, and the engine should start right up. Then, you can tune them with the cover on the distributor using the screw on the side. If the points are set wrong originally, that won't work. They can either fail to open, or fail to close with incorrect settings. Ensure yours are opening and closing and go from there using COPO's suggestions.

5. kevins72splitbumper

Thanks I need all the help I can get,any and all helpful hints and tricks are greatly appreciated,going back at it by this weekend hopefully its for sale on craigslist Philadelphia its been off the road since 89

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Your voltage seems awfully low.
    Internally corroded battery cables or poor electrical connections is where I would look first.

7. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

If it's giving you THAT much grief, you better just give that car to me. :D

8. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's pretty common to drop 2 volts when cranking, we've had some discussions about that on the Edelbrock ProFlo4 forum. What's usually recommended is to hook up a jumper battery to see if that helps.

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The voltage is supposed to be low on the coil. Power to it is supplied through a resistor wire that drops the voltage. You get different readings because the points are opening and closing while cranking, but are eigher open or closed with the ignition on and the engine not turning over with the starter.

10. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Huge Guns N Roses Fan

Man, I hate points distributors...You've said you have a new coil and have verified you have voltage at the coil. New coil w/voltage going to it means it should be doing its job at supplying voltage to distributor. Have you looked to see if you have any spark at the points? Before even fooling with gapping/adjusting them (assuming dual points) have you sandpapered em? Only piece of automotive engineering i have that uses points is my 57' ford tractor. Points every time....sandpaper them, tractor good to go. The above is the first thing i would do.