noises in the rear of Camaro

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by john Gialanella, Aug 8, 2019.

1. john Gialanella

john Gialanella Veteran Member

When I take my 1970 SS 396 Camaro for a weekly drive it makes these noises in the rear of the car when I am at a stop. The other day, when I was stopped I put the TH400 in neutral and the noise stopped. I am stumped. How can there be noise when the car is stopped, Nothing is moving from the end of the TH400 transmission, the drive shaft, the rear axles, and wheels. Also at high high speed I get a squealing noise which sounds like it is coming from the engine compartment. I did not check to see if the fan belt PS belts are loose. Any help would be appreciated.
    John.

2. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Loose tailpipe tapping on the frame? It took a bit to find that on my ‘74 z and the sound transmits in a very peculiar manner. (Yes I like my car but admittedly I’m a little jealous of a 70 big block turbo 400) :bowtie:

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a custom built exhaust system and the turn downs are really close to the fender. I can tell in a instant when they get just a hair too close.

4. john Gialanella

john Gialanella Veteran Member

I will check the exhaust pipes. Mallard Z-28 Camaro's are very nice, but I always liked the 1970 396 (402 CID) I owned both of them at different times. 1989-2002 was the L-78 4 speed muncie, numbers matching, which I sold to a member from Washington state. He had it trailered from New Jersey to the west coast. And my present one is the L-34 with TH 400 trans. Numbers matching.
    John.