Northern guys/rusted fuel lines /replacement?DD

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 72'z'steve, Mar 19, 2019.

1. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Appoligies if wrong area/no fuel systems area.Anyway,my 1999 Yukon Denali has rusted a fuel line,I did brake lines 3 years ago.all the fuel lines look horrible.I see there are plastic line kits from gas tank renu,what do you guys use? I'm thinking the truck has to go,I'm guessing straps,lines all the way to engine,plus fuel pump when down there [one in is 9 years old] sure it would be a grand plus to do at shop [I would pity the guy who'd get stuck with it if anyone would do it]. Amazingly the body is so clean,better than my 04 Z-71 or anything I've looked at.Had 12 years kinda a friend of the family.Any ideas/thoughts-Later Steve!!

2. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

If you plan on driving it until the very end i would replace with steel where you can. If you only expect a few more years rubber lines will suffice.

3. GREGS396

GREGS396 Veteran Member

I have a 98 Silverado, and replaced all of the brake and fuel lines with a full kit from Inline tube.

4. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

With your description of the vehicle, I would seriously consider repair. But not with the conventional lines.

In my time selling for an ACDelco warehouse distributor, I also handled SUR&R repair kits.

This is a link to their fuel line repair kits:

https://surrauto.com/fuel/

These are high quality kits designed for making anything from a very small repair to a complete line replacement permanent repair.

I sold these kits to new car dealers, independent repair shops and fleets.

The first time I worked with the SUR&R rep, we stopped by one of my Chrysler dealers that was in the process of replacing a fuel pump on a '97 Blazer when the discovered that they needed to replace the section of fuel line back by the tank.

They asked me if we could get the OE fuel line - checked and it wasn't available.

As we also stocked all the pieces in the kit at our store - the rep asked if he could look at the vehicle in question to determine exactly what they needed. About $40.00 worth of connectors and a length of hose and they now had a 5 minute repair solution.

[​IMG]

5. 72'z'steve

Well,I had the day off and couldn't leave it alone![I get that from my grandfather-have to mess with everything right away]I surfed the web,and found dimensions to cut an access hole for the pump,actually square under the rear drivers fold down seat.I gingerly cut it out with grinder and had access to lines,popped them off with improvised removal tool [a pain].The kit Gas tank Renu sells is made from the material champ listed above,tailor fit with filter etc from tank to fuel rail.Ordered one.I helped a friend with a blazer 3 years ago install one of their kits and it is still holding up.I feel a little like a hack about cutting the floor,but I'll weld some flanges on the piece and it will be ok.I know the tank straps would break,the lines wouldn't come off in the limited space plus its only me on the ground so I'm winging it plus it looked like a pain to route hard metal lines up by the crossmember.Thanks for the link Champ,it may be more reasonable for a kit for other projects [have a 99 + 01 z-2 blazer] they will probably get jealous.I'll report on the results when done-Thanks guys Steve!!

6. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Ahh, the old access hole trick, I cut those on every Suburban or Tahoe I ever get. You never know when a pump will go out on you so I carry a spare.

7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

The beauty of the line material is how easy it is to work with. I showed the kits, but as I mentioned we stocked all the individual pieces so if you could have found an auto parts warehouse that handled SUR&R, you could have bought just the pieces you need.

Hopefully the Gas tank Renu kit was priced reasonably and works as well. I know my customers that purchased the kit were extremely happy with the ease of installation and the quality of the repair.

8. 72'z'steve

Like all projects dealing with rust,once you start the further it goes,That is why I ended up getting the whole set,the lines split at the filter,but the forward lines were crappy at the hold points from salt retention I figure disturbing them,they would leak too.I'm too stupid to post a link, but it appears to be the same material or is SUR+R.They are Gas Tank Renu-Swartz Ceeek Mi,They have kits for almost everything and also sell on ebay.I'll let you know how it goes,I don't sell my old cars anymore-too much hassle of title jumping etc,I either donate or scrap them and I'm still attached to "Mr Denali" wifey says it can go-not happy I'm messing with it! Later Steve!!

9. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've done hundreds of those jobs and would recommend the nylon fuel line kit that Champ suggested. The SUR&R stuff is pricey compared to the similar kits that Vato Zone and the like carry, but it's well worth it.

10. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

That system runs 65 psi of fuel pressure..... I'd pass on using rubber.

Knuckle Dragger likes this.