NOS 474192 l-82 pistons any use/value?

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by 72'z'steve, Aug 25, 2019.

1. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

I met a fellow at cruise in last night who had a 73 z in the 80s/90's car is gone but said he had some original parts from it and his attempted restoration.Today I picked up what he had and he had a set [8] of said pistons in GM boxes still sealed,I opened 1 and it is the true flat top with the trough valve relief we are used to seeing on the low compression z engines,wrapped with the specially treated wax paper from 1990.
    I posted here as I figured IF they have any value it would only be to an "original" person to a hardcore degree and I don't even know I'd not want to put in the newest technology parts in my rebuild, plus how many 40 year old engines are standard-any thoughts? I'm thinking it neat man-cave items but I may be wrong! There are still stashes of parts out there! Later Steve!!

2. ggtsvnv

ggtsvnv Veteran Member

I would think there would be some value there. Not saying it's the best thing but you can sleeve a block back to standard bore. That would allow you to use them. How much value they have im not sure, but i would think there has to be some.

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Would those be forged pistons?

4. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a original 74 z28 standard bore 74 L82 motor that could use those pistons. I might be interested in them. Let me know what you need for them if you plan on selling them?

5. 72'z'steve

The nasty listing for pistons show them as cast-I thought they were forged?? I can't tell the difference,the parts stash I got had the original pistons [knurled] and rods and they look the same with the "trough" valve relief I'll post some pics tomorrow,Ron,drop me a line after I post the pics,I'd like them to see a use in one of our cars-Steve!!

6. 72'z'steve

Took some pics of the piston I opened,somehow lost a piece of the top box flap between there and here,don't know what the marker 3 on the top means all boxes have S3 ink stamped on the label Neat wax paper packaging! Later Steve!! . car parts 001.JPG car parts 002.JPG car parts 003.JPG car parts 004.JPG car parts 005.JPG car parts 006.JPG car parts 007.JPG

dinograz likes this.