NOS Z28 grille?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by ronnyz76typelt, Aug 23, 2019.

1. ronnyz76typelt

ronnyz76typelt New Member

Hello everyone. I hope someone here can give me an answer on this. I recently purchased an NOS grille off of eBay. Part number is 347571. My parts book says this is for a 76-77 camaro with the rally sport or z28 package, which is what I want. I know this one should be black and other camaros got the silver grille. This one kinda felt like it was painted (slightly tacky), and upon further inspection, it does look like it was just a silver grille that got painted black. I can see silver or grey showing through in some spots. My question is: Is this how the grilles originally were? I assumed that it would be molded black plastic, not just a black painted grille. It came in an original box with the correct part number on it. Hopefully someone has had some experience in this area. Thanks in advance!

Aaron

2. Z28SSRS

Z28SSRS Veteran Member

I can't really speak for 1976-77 grilles, but my original 1978 Z28 has a black grille that is definitely molded in black plastic, not painted.

3. JT71SS

JT71SS Veteran Member

It should come molded in black not painted black. Had the box been open?

4. ronnyz76typelt

That is what I was expecting. The box was opened. I figured it was to take pictures.

5. ronnyz76typelt

Thank you guys for the replies. I thought it wasn't right, but I wanted to get an outside opinion before I tell the guy I want to return it.

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Depending on how much you paid, maybe worth keeping it. I painted my silver grille black and you couldn’t even tell.

7. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It could very well be the correct grill but not 100% positive. I believe only assembly line grills came molded in black. Over the counter replacements were most likely silver and then painted black.

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I think 70 SS/L78 is correct. At least on the early Second Gen Camaros, the original assembly line grilles that needed to be black were molded in black. But, the replacements sold over the GM parts counter were more generic and molded in silver or gray and needed to be painted for applications that require black.

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  9. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

I have been told by a couple of 74-77 guys that those years the Z28 and Type LT got the silver grills. But I myself don't know that for sure.

10. Z28SSRS

Z28SSRS Veteran Member

My 1975 Type LT that I bought new, the first Camaro I ever owned, had a silver grille.