OEM Oil Pressure Gauge -

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by hd_cat, Oct 29, 2017.

1. hd_cat

hd_cat New Member

Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    The GM truck oil pressure gauge from 1973 - 1975 or 1976 makes a great replacement for the original clock in 2nd gen Camaros. You'll have to fabricate a mounting bracket, similar to that of the clock, but with a channel in the center to locate the gauge at the proper distance from the lens. You'll also have to trim the gauge face of the odd flange shape to get it to fit into the gauge cluster. The cool thing is that the gauge font matches the stock gauges, tach, and speedometer, other than the button covering the clock adjustment opening, it looks stock. I run a tee and use both the oil pressure sender to the light and a mechanical gauge. I've attached a shot of the '79 Dash.

Attached Files:

70lt1z28 likes this.
  2. drewclonezap

drewclonezap New Member

Nov 17, 2017
    I did this also. The gauge does look just like the other OEM gauges except for the orange danger mark. I didn't put it in the clock spot because it would have left a hole where the adjustment knob came through. I put it in the amp gauge spot. Then I wired an idiot light and mounted it where it was mostly hidden. I don't understand why Chevrolet didn't put an oil pressure gauge in the U14 cluster!

3. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hmmmm. I might lose my temp gauge and put that in. I can’t get it to work anyway and I have the temp on the sniper screen if I want to see it as well as an external gauge. That would bring me down to one external gauges and might clean up dash/console a bit. Great suggestion.

Is the gauge electric or mechanical? Do you need a unit specific sender?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

5. Rickyb1968

Rickyb1968 Veteran Member

Feb 14, 2018
    8Pack I just bought the gauge from Daniel at Gaugemarks. If you go this route you will need to provide the sender. I think Fbodywarehouse has the kit that includes the sender and if you can get a discount that will be better. Same gauge and is sourced from gaugemarks to them. Now if your handy which I think you probably are than the GM truck gauge route will be cheaper.

6. Dmello

Dmello New Member

May 1, 2018
    Good morning, I used the 73 c10 mechanical gauge for this mod can anyone confirm this #WH6100X2 fitting is the correct one to connect to the gauge?

7. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks!

8. zambu

zambu New Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Switzerland
    Good idea! Keeps the original look.

I installed a mechanical gauge in the middle console of my 73 Camaro. I like watching it while driving, tells me when the engine is really warm. Hope I don't crash the car when watching that gauge all time ;)
    20161112_141404kl.jpg

9. Rickyb1968

Rickyb1968 Veteran Member

Feb 14, 2018
    You can go to Lowe’s and their speciality section above the bolts and nuts you can purchase the 3/16 black plastic plugs. One will fit perfect where the clock stem was. Ricky