Off white sealer?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by TX79Z28, Jan 23, 2014.

1. TX79Z28

TX79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm finishing up the blocking on the body shell of my 79 in gray 2K. I decided to paint it GM Artic White, and had a question about the sealer. I plan on shooting a coat of sealer (over reduced SPI epoxy) but I'm concerned that if use white sealer, it will make it difficult to see my coverage as I shoot the BC (my first paint job).

Would you recommend adding a very small amount of gray epoxy to tint it, making it JUST a shade darker for contrast, but yet not severely affect the brightness of the BC? If so, how much tint?

2. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

I don't think I would worry to much about spraying white base coat over a light colored sealer. Base coat dries fast and is not that easy to run. Where you need to be careful at is spraying the 2nd and 3rd coats of clear. white is the easiest color to run because once you get a shine on it,it is hard to see it flow as you are applying clear. its easy to get to much build up in one place.

3. 1981gMachine

1981gMachine Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

To answer your question, it wont affect the brightness. As long as you spray a spray out card at the same time. This way you can make sure you have enough coats for full coverage. Spraying that color in PPG DBC basecoat would be about 3 coat coverage.

I'd do what your asking sometimes for the same reason. With white, I want to make sure at least my 1st coat is full coverage. I will say this thou, if you are painting your vehicle in stages and not all at once. Make sure you use the exact mix ratio for all the panels. You could get a slight shade difference if the sealer isn't the same color.

With that said here's an example of a ratio you could use if your sealer is 4:1:1

(4 parts white to 1 part grey):1:1

There's multiple ways to pour this. One easy way would with 2 mixing cups. Use one cup solely for the mixing of sealer colors. So you could use the part scale, or oz scale to get a 4:1 or even 5:1 ration of white to grey.

Then pour from that cup into the other to mix your 4 (mixed white/grey sealer):1(hardener):1(reducer)

The white you are looking to spray is a pretty clean white if I remember. I think it's mostly pure white, with a small amount of black and yellow. Either way, it's gonna stand out pretty well over the slightest shade difference.

4. TX79Z28

TX79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thank you guys for the advice! And I do plan on painting everything separate so I guess I better be careful with the shading, if I go that route

5. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

I have about 3/4 of a gal. of Summit sealer, maybe a little more than that, I'm not going to use it. Its gray in color. Its not even a year old. Since I live just out of town it would be easy to deliver. If interested PM me.