Official AMD a Panel Review

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by badazz81z28, Oct 3, 2015.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

After endless searches, I have yet to see any real comparisons of AMD panels to OEM. They claim OEM metal thickness, bonds, creases, fit etc...but are they really as they claim? I hope you all do the same for the fenders, doors, trunk lids etc.

2. badazz81z28

1970-1973 Standard Header Panel:

Initial look at the panel, it looks really good. The body lines look crisp, the seams where the too panels meet is tight just like origonal. Other than how the two panels meet, it looks origonal down to the bend marks. The panel feels very close to similar metal thickness and weight.

[​IMG]

However, the panel was a lose fit leaving gaps on both sides as it interfaces with the fenders. Comparing to my origonal panel, it's not as long. As you can see the origonal is 55-15/16" while the AMD is shy of that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Additionally the origonal panel has half shaped moons cut into the panel to fit the half shape moon on the hood latch. The AMD is not clearenced like OEM and looks rather sloppy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Overall, some work, welding would "make" it work, if you choose to do that.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  3. badazz81z28

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  4. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

It looks better than others, but until someone fits it to a car, there's no point.

5. badazz81z28

I did. That's how I found out it's narrower. There's a 1/16 gap on both sides towards the front part and the hood latch doesn't sit and bolt on correctly because of the metal interference

6. badazz81z28

Any others out there? AMD Fenders?

7. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Your writeup matches the OER panel verbatim. Too short side to side, and so forth. I suspect AMD does not actually make these. They still carry some panels made in Golden Legion. They are the best panel manufacturer out there, but apparently this one isn't one that they make themselves. I abandoned the OER panel as it was too much work to try to make it fit. However, I bought a NOS panel and that took many hours of metal work to get it to fit right too.

Thanks for the nice review...it will definitely help others avoid buying something that you cannot make fit unless they are ready to put a bunch of time into it.

8. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Did the amd part number start with a X-. If it had a X they are made by someone else amd just resells them.

9. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

So...I had the same exact issue with a non AMD repop header panel. The hood could not close because is was so tight. In the end, I chopped up my original header and welded parts onto it from the repop. It turned out for the best because I have more of the born-with metal still on my car...two cents.

G

10. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

I swear some of these repo company's pour more money into marketing along with a bit of deceptive PR than doing the work to make sure the part fits. with today's technology you would figure these parts would be better.