Oil pan question

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by DanSaco, Mar 25, 2020.

1. DanSaco

DanSaco Member

Had a little incident that resulted in my oil pan being dented in, was debating on trying to hammer it out myself or just replacing it. When I started looking around I see listings saying for example “fits all except Z/28”. What makes it Z/28 specific? It looks like every other rear sump sbc pan I’ve ever had. And how would I know anyway? It’s a non original motor, believe it to be a 1972 Vette LT-1, however motor was in a hotrod last so maybe they changed the pan. Regardless, the pan fits in the car (70 Z/28). Just curious if another stock pan will fit the same or if there’s a different reason they would have had a different pan.
    People are asking big money on eBay for original pans, so I’d rather just fix mine unless I can use just any old sbc pan.
    Thanks in advance. (Pic for attention)

Attached Files:

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

It fits, and if it did not leak and the rails are straight, Save your money, fix what you have if at all possible.

3. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

I believe the " fits all except Z28," may have been due to the fact that the Z28 factory engines, during that time frame, had a windage tray with extended main cap bolts.

4. DanSaco

DanSaco Member

Yes, it does have that, so does that mean that would interfere with the pan? In which case they wouldn’t have changed the pan to make it fit a hotrod for some reason.

5. Rosster

Rosster New Member

The z28 pan has metal stripsmthat run down both sides that the windage tray interlocks with. Other than that, they are similar pans.

DanSaco likes this.
  6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Fix it.
    Here is my 70 Z28 pan.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. DanSaco

DanSaco Member

Ok thanks for the responses gentlemen. I’ll take it off and do my best to pop the dent back out.

8. 450bench

450bench Veteran Member

If it fits now, fix it, like others have said.
    Quick story, a friend has a really nice numbers matching 396 69 Camaro. He dented the hell out of his pan hitting a log in the road and had a dent doctor guy get the dent out.
    Looked brand new. Obviously he had to take the pan off first, lol, but it really looked new when the guy finished.

9. DanSaco

DanSaco Member

Just dreading the thought of pulling the motor mounts again to get it high enough to pull the pan. A lot of stuff was changed under the hood and to get the right Z/28 mounts in there and all together was a nightmare.

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I’ve had my engine out a couple of times, once in ‘85 and other in 2012. If it’s a problem with mounts then something is not right with your mounts.