Oil pump installation questions???

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by NYH1, Mar 3, 2010.

1. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Central New Yorkistan
    I'm using THIS Melling Oil Pump, THIS Melling Oil Pump Pick Up and THIS ARP Oil Pump Stud. The oil pump pick up bolts to the oil pump. I was told to set the clearance between the bottom of the pick up and the oil pan anywhere from 1/4" to 1/2". I set it right at 3/8". That's not from the bottom of the screen, that's from the lowest part of the pick up to the pan. Should I still tac weld the pick up to the oil pump?

Also, What should I torque the oil pump "stud" to the main cap at? And after that, what should I torque the bolt that go's on the stud that holds the pump at? I assume I should use ARP paste on both, right?

If I do tac weld the pick up to the pump I have to remove the bottom cap on the oil pump and the oil pump spring before welding. What should I re torque the four bolts on the bottom of the oil pump to? And what do I torque the plug that holds the spring in place to?

Thanks, NYH1! ;)

2. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    What engine are you putting this on? IMHO, unless you are running a high performance engine with all of the oil control devices (cam galley oil restrictors for a solid lifter cam, windage tray, crank scraper on the pan rail, bigger oil pan, just to name a few things) then you have the wrong oil pump.

If all you have is a stock to mild hydraulic cam engine, all you need is a regular volume and pressure oil pump. Summit will gladly refund your money and get your the right oil pump. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MEL-M55/

Next is setting the oil pump pickup clearance distance between the pickup and the pan. It should be from 3/8" to 1/2". As for permanently attaching the pickup to the oil pump, I prefer to either braze it unless I have access to a TIG welder. I remove ALL of the parts from the pump so that they can't be damaged by the heat from welding. After it is welded, I put it in DRY sand to let it cool as long as it takes to get back to room temperature.

Also, be VERY careful which Melling oil pump you buy. Read this post that was posted here which still confuses me but spells out exactly which oil pump NOT to use EVER: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65870&highlight=melling

3. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Pump will work great for you.

Height is to the screen. That's where its measured. Stud isn't torqued. Finger tight or lightly snugged to bottom. Nut 65 ft lbs. No specs I have seen on pickup just tighten pretty snug. I locktight. No need to weld and never seen done. That is why they call it a bolt on!

4. bigbear40

bigbear40 Veteran Member

May 2, 2009
    Windsor, Ontario
    Why is it so wrong of NYH1 to go with a high volume oil pump?

5. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Madison, WI
    There is nothing wrong with using that pump.

6. yobin67

yobin67 Veteran Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Md.
    I have the same pump for my new engine.I have read about this pickup having issues.The bolts can come loose,or the gasket could fail. I had a custom pickup made for mine that both presses in and bolts on.To me this is a much better and safer setup.

Here is a generic pic of the pickup I used.
    http://www.kevkoracing.com/images/melling_pickup_full.gif

I called them and they made the pickup to fit my 8.25" deep pan
    This is mine
    [​IMG]

7. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

Jul 3, 2003
    Chebanse, IL USA
    Actually, there's nothing "wrong" per say, but a high volume pump can run the sump dry at higher RPMs.

Mine does at around 4,800 RPM through 1st and 2nd gear up until 5,600 when it shifts.

A higher capacity sump, smoothing the drain back routes and limiting how much oil goes where it really isn't needed are the things that should be done when using a high volume pump.

8. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Central New Yorkistan
    It's going in the mild 385 stroker motor I'm building. It's going to have a hydraulic flat tappet cam. It won't turn over 56-5800 RPM's.

The Melling oil pump (pt#10552) that I'm using only has approximately a 10% over stock volume output. It doesn't have the typical 25 to 30% increase over stock volume output that most high volume oil pumps have. It's a lot closer to a stock volume oil pump then it is a typical high volume oil pump.

It's one of Mellings performance series oil pumps. It's not one of their OEM oil pumps. I'm using a 5 quart oil pan instead of the stock 4 quart oil pan. All my oil returns routes have been thoroughly cleaned up to increase/help the oil returning to the pan.

9. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Central New Yorkistan
    yobin67, my pick up attaches to the pump just like yours does. What type of problems did you have or hear about with the Melling pick up?

10. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Central New Yorkistan
    Thanks for the info Rick! :bowtie: