Oil Pump

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by 2000z, Jan 10, 2019.

1. 2000z

2000z Member

Sep 18, 2005
    tulsa, ok
    I have the 355 out of the car to swap the cam, heads and switch to a TKO 600 from the th350, and while I have it out I want to change the oil pump. I've read a lot of negative stuff on here about Melling oil pumps so I thought I would see about getting some advice.

I am switching to Promaxx aluminum heads and putting in a Comp XE274H cam so nothing crazy there, but in a month or so I will also be adding a Procharger that will require a little oil from the engine. Having said that I don't think I will need anything crazy, but is there a pump you guys would recommend?

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    I have a 1979 Z-28 with a Weiand 142 mini blower .Crane hydraulic roller cam ,Eldelbrock Performer RPM aluminum heads .I have run a Melling high volume oil pump.with a Milodon 7 quart road race oil pan and pickup.And my engine block has had some work around the oil passages .And I have never had any issues with the oil pump.

Attached Files:

3. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2011
    South Eastern Ontario
    The bad press regarding Melling was due to the std pump casting M55 being lightened a few years ago. They were prone to cracking. Undoubtedly someone on here will ramble on about some billet pump but that is overkill for your intended usage.

4. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Melling makes great pumps and far as my experience. I will say for sure though I became a believer in a bolt on pick up tube when the braze on a press fit slipped and caused loss of oil pressure requiring major repair one time. I don’t recall part number but all I can say for sure is get the Melling pump with a bolt on pick up.

5. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Upstate New York
    https://www.jegs.com/i/Melling/689/10555/10002/-1

This is the "Select" version of the SBC pump. Install the low pressure spring when you disassemble it to wash it.
    I always disassemble and wash any oil pump before installing. Also listed in that link at the bottom of the page are the matching pick-up tubes for various pan depths.

The "Select" version was produced in response to the cracking issue. I always run the "Select" version in a performance build.

6. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2011
    South Eastern Ontario
    The 10552 might be a better choice as it is not a HI Volume pump. Only 10% more volume than a stock style pump.

7. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    Milodon makes std cast pumps that aren't lightened and don't break the bank. 18756 is a High pressure/std volume pump they call "Z28 equivalent".

8. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Apr 26, 2018
    I have used the 10552 many times and no issues at all.
    Yea it costs more.
    My last 350 I stuck together got an old style M55.
    The superchargers are not using that much oil really just put a good size drain back hose on it.
    Probably no more than 2 pushrod holes squirting.

9. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Absolutely, I missed the note in the description. They used to give you two springs with a pump. Maybe not now, it's been a while.

10. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    IMHO, Don't cheap out on the most vital part of your engine. Granted, there isn't much to an oil pump on a SBC, Melling has always been a good pump.