Old school SBC/BBC to LS family comparo.

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by newschool72, Sep 23, 2013.

1. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

Tom, if you had read some of my LONG winded comments above , you would have understood why there is a huge difference in the factory rated HP vrs the standard HOT ROD means of testing an engine. I don't have the patience or desire to type it again, so go back and read if you REALLY want to know. If not , that's OK too, because you will believe what you will anyway.

As far as apples to apples, those #s you posted are very interesting and telling as well. The LT1 Camaro was faster than the original 1970 LT1 Camaro by a good bit ,according to the same people that probably tested them both. MT and R&T are probably the same mags that tested them. The 70 LT1 Camaro in factory trim was a mid to high 14 sec car at less than 100mph. Amazing how far we have come, and with much better mileage also. For the record the tests I posted that began this thread where as close to giving each engine it due of any Ive seen. Hot Rod even went so far as to stall the trans and set the rear gears to squeeze everything they could out of each engine. That is why I used the article as a reference for this discussion.

On the question on MPH of the two cars, it is commonly believed that 1 MPH=10HP in a 1/4 mile race. So 5 MPH is 50 HP. Now do you understand the reason for the question?
    Again, no one has said the LT1 is junk. In fact most of the LS guys have just stated the increased potential of the LS platform. If you agree that the LS is more engine and the LS guys agree that the LT is a great engine as well, why are you continuing to fight the LS guys so hard? No one is making you live in California, and I cant help that the state gov. wont let you have fun by modifying your car. Come on over to GA. and you can play too. That would probably help you understand the HYPE, LOL.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  2. david.carlton@s

david.carlton@s Veteran Member

You guys almost had me talked in to going LS.... just tired of thinking about it. Pick something and get it over with. Thought starting with a carb'ed LSX376 would be easy and economical and then I could add a supercharger later for punch and a little excitement; plus it has cool valve covers. Then... I checked the price of the superchargers. Another $7500... crap. always wanted a supercharged car. So now it's back to an LS3 block... where's the fun? Maybe building it myself would make it fun...

3. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

I didn't go the economical route with mine . If I had done the research first and not been afraid of the new engine lay out, I would have started with a used LS3 block and built a 416 NA with a carb intake and the FAST EZ Im running on my LS3 crate engine now. OR just picked up a 416 short block used over on LS1 Tech. A lot of great deals over there in the classifieds. I guess they have deep pockets and empty them on the latest ,greatest stuff as soon as it comes out. If you look around and are patient, you can build a hammer of an LS engine for about half of the price of buying it or building it new. Used LS blowers show up fairly regularly for 5K or less over there too. There is always a hand full of Prochargers up for sale. Turbo kits too. Just about any exotic power adder, heads, camshafts, intakes are popping up for way less than new money. Its worth a few hours of looking over ,IF you are ready to pull the trigger. Don't bother with it till the money is there because the stuff doesn't hang around long enough for thinking about it too long, LOL.

4. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

LSx is played out now. Everybody has one.:) I'm holding out for the LT1- the new one.:bowtie:

Really though, I'm probably going to end up with a ZZ430 clone or a 383 variant of that, just for the simplicity and it hits the target I want- a modification set from a particular time period that works for me. I've no need to jump into the horsepower contest, but at the same time, I don't want a clapped-out junkyard LS or LT engine in my car. I'm doing new, doing it once, and that's that. But, I've had the car 22 years, will have it 22+ more, so my goals may be different.

The LS is a better engine than the LT1 in every regard EXCEPT for cost at the junkyard, though. Well, maybe the LS would be even better with reverse cooling...:)

EDIT: I would still take a low-mileage, all-original LT4 engine over an LSx for a swap if I could find one. I always liked them, and again, it fits that "time period" thing.

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

LT5. Bam!

6. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Reason we bought a wrecked complete car with low miles : only 67k. For an LS
    or an LT thats barely broken in. ;)

Tom

7. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

just do a turbo 4cyl

8. 73 L92

73 L92 Veteran Member

I have few LS swaps under my belt. Nothing against LT1 swaps but the tech for LT swaps is 20 years old. First LS swap was in a 79 Camaro 10 years ago.Ran great. Was a low mileage 2002 LS/4L60E. Next was a 98 Wrangler with a LS6/4l60E. Both motor and trans rebuilt before install. Next was a 6.0 in 99 Wrangler. 7000 mile motor and trans. Ran fantastic. Sold it a few years ago. Next was my current rides 73 Camaro L92/TKO 600 and a 67 Nova with a sleeved and stroked 6.0 to 427 cubes. My view of LS swaps is that you will pay somewhat more for a LS swap but the overall power output of a basic LS motor (5.3, 6.0 or 6.2) cannot by matched by a SBC or LT1. No offense but my LS 550 hp Nova still get's 20 mpg and runs 190 degrees in 100 temps. I would not buy a junkyard LS1, last from a Camaro was made in 2002. Buy a alumimum 6.0 or 6.2 and go from there.

9. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Because a tenth of a second in the 1/4 mile is worth thousands of dollars - and
    the second thing I read here : a 10 year old LS motor is junk. Hmmm. My wifes
    14 year old LS1 would be bothered by that and my Impala's 18 year old LT1 just
    growled at you. Omg ... did I just defend an LS motor?:p

Tom

10. 73 L92

73 L92 Veteran Member

I didn't say a 10 year old LS1 is junk. I said I wouldn't buy one. Let me quailfy, if I could get it cheap enough so upon disassembly if I could only save the block and crank I would buy it. Trouble is today due to the popularity of the LS swaps LS1's are not cheap. I've had good luck with salvage yard LS motors but it can be a crap shoot on higher mileage motors. The larger bore 6.0 and 6.2 blocks can run the L92 heads. Nothing against the LT1 and SBC or BBC motors. I spend my money on what I like. You spend your money on what you like.